Leigh

3 foot curved from corner unit

Hi Guys and Gals,

Just thought i'd post up a pic of my new setup and ask everyone where I could made improvements with my layout.

Tank is a Cleair 3ft curved from corner tank, running a redsea CO2 system, substrate is a 1-2mm glass substrate, filter is a Fluval FX5 (i know it's massive for the tank but it's turned down to 2/3 to 1/2 flow as, like most of my stuff it was removed from my old tank with was 600ltr) the filter is running basic sponges alot of biological filtration and purigen. Lighting is 2 x 150w Metal halides.

This photo is about 2 weeks old now and the aluminium in the right hand corner has been removed and replaced with clippings of my rotora plants.... oh all these plants are clippings not established plants....

tankday1.jpg

Dosing Flourish excel every second day, flourish twice a week, plus tank has undergravel fertilizer.

new pic will come up today of the progress so far....

Edited by Leigh

I'm no Aquascaper of planted tank expert, but I think the centrepiece driftwood should be larger and taller to make use of the height of your tank. And also place the wood more toward the front (in front of the hair grass looking stuff) so it isn't obstructed by future plant growth. And a plain black background would be great on the two flat sides to hide the cords and make the plants stand out more. Other than that I think it looks great, a very unique shaped tank, can't wait to see it's progress.

Thanks,

Beau.

Thanks for the advice Beau, I removed the aluminium from the tank and put it into my smaller one.... then moved the driftwood into the center and a fair bit closer.... can anyone tell me the name of the plant that i've moved to where the aluminium was?

tankday14.jpg

Finally got a set of decent bulbs into the lights.... they came with 20k marine bulbs but I had a very hard time tracking down the correct bulbs.... now running with geisemann tropic 5800k bulbs and growth is starting nicely. Oh and because it took him so long to get back to me with "i can't get these bulbs anytime soon", Most of my green plants like the val had run out of food stores and started dying off.... they haven't completely died but they have been forced to reshoot and start again >.<

unfortunantly though the fish thought that my graminifolia wasn't suitable and while i was away on holiday for a week ripped all but 1 tiny piece of it out.....I don't think the guy taking care of my tank was feeding the algae eaters enough .....

I cracked the poo's with the old setup.... So i redid my whole tank.... this is day 1 of new setup.... have to tie down the moss as i had a crack at super glue.... worked a little but i was doing it wrong to start with :P then i got it in the end....

I won't be touching this tank now it's time to let it grow...

post-7614-14711627456373_thumb.jpg

Nice going mate

I hope you threw that aluminium plant and the purple waffle plant straight in the bin as they are not aquatic.

You do not need to dose excel if you are already using CO2; save your money.

You have strong light, pressurised CO2 but you are missing one major part of the equation:- macronutrients (nitrogen, postassium and phosphorus). Flourish is a weak solution so does not have enough of these macros. Start dosing these macros and you will see a big difference.

Ordered all the Macros as dry ferts.... I've noticed already though that my plants are growing like crazy without adding any ferts to the water coloumn.... only running off the undergravel ferts which is at a level high enough for crypts...

I'll add a photo in another two weeks... but already the HC is spreading... the hair grass is shooting like crazy and a deep deep green on the new shoots and everything else is growing super lush and tall..... except for the moss which is just growing randomly....

Day 49

Some things have been moved.... some things died off and have been replanted.... *remember never to use the H2O2 method for dealing with BGA when you have HC cuba...*

also i should never have bought endlers... they are breeding non stop.... i count over 20 decent sized fry in my tank now and all the females are pregnant again.....

NewSetupDay49.jpg