i previously had large american cichlids in my 8'x2'x2' tank but it got kinda dull as the dovii just mauled everything else & it often just looked like there was only one fish (the dovii) in the tank. i got sick of that & sold off most of the americans & now just have jack dempseys (7of them), 2 plecos, 3 bristlenoses & about 16 assorted rainbows. i reckon the dempseys & rainbows go really well together... the rainbows all occupy the mid-level to top-level & the jacks & catfish all stay at the bottom. i kind of wish i'd stuck with a single type of rainbow rather than all different types... it would have looked a lot nicer i think... especially those goyder river trifasciatas... they are awesome.

& i also have 4 crayfish in there which are cool to watch crawling around. :D

there is a pic of my 8' tank in the full tank pics thread on the photography forum :D here is a link :-

http://www.qldaf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10858&start=0#p58757

it's not a great pic though :( & only one JD is bigger than ~30mm at the moment.

6 of them are actually the 'split-gene' dempseys so I am hoping they will breed & give me some electric blue JDs.

i really need to get a decent photo of my alpha male goyder river trifasciata rainbow... it's a really nice looking fish imo.