jvfvj

What can I keep safely with my Frontosa?

Hi,

Wondering what I can safely keep with Frontosa? I have made the decision to buy some. I have brought them a 6 foot tank and plan to keep the frontosa in it. Planning on keeping 3 or 4. I know there PH level has to be high, is there anything else that can survive these conditions?

Thanks.

I have had Frontosa housed with species such as:

- V.Moorii

- Calvus

- Neolamprologus

- Catfish [Plecos, Synos etc]

- Feather Fins

- Furcifers

Basically they can be housed with most of the Lake Tang species, just depends on what is available.

HTH

RM

From http://www.cyphos.com (the Bible of Fronnie keepers)

This post is to inform you of several options you may use for tankmates with your Frontosa. This is not meant to be a comprehensive list by any means. Feel free to experiment and see what works well for you.

The following species are the most common fish that have been kept, successfully, with Frontosa. These fish are capable of handling the high protein diet that is essential for successful Frontosa keeping. A wise and prudent fish keeper would ensure that these fish are full grown if mixed with full sized Frontosa. If your Frontosa are small they can be raised together with great success.

Lake Tanganyika:

Lepediolamprologus species

Neolamprolougus species (Some can nip fins)

Julidochromis species

Featherfins: Furcifer, Foai, Nausata, and Boops

Calvus/Comps

Synodontis Species

Lake Malawi:

Larger Mbuna (Yellow Labs make good tankmates)

Most Haplochromines

C. Moori (Blue Dolphin)

Other Fish:

Most Larger Plecostomus variants

Clown Loaches

i have a fronnie in with about 30+ cichlids ranging from 4cm-15cm and it doesnt get them i have some johannis dolphins brazilienses sara toga etc jack dempsey all kinds of things

Sorry to the OP for going off track a bit. But man that must be a big tank. My personal opinion is this tanks going to end in disaster.

i`ve got my head in my hands after reading what jessica jones wrote in this thread...Please don`t take advise from her she clearly doesn`t have a clue what she is talking about. Your best off keeping your forntosa with other african cichlids, the frontosa are pretty placid. I`ve kept frontosa with electric yellows, electric blues, blue dolphins and large plecostomus catfish with no problems at all. Tim.

i have a fronnie in with about 30+ cichlids ranging from 4cm-15cm and it doesnt get them i have some johannis dolphins brazilienses sara toga etc jack dempsey all kinds of things

BA HA HA HA HA saratoga and jack dempsey youve gotta be kidding jessica,thats the funnest stuff ive heard in a long time..

jvfvj most tangs go well with fronnys as there a quite peaceful fish, definitely would NEVER recommend a toga or jack dempsey :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Jase...

I have a mate on here ;) (gonzo993) he keeps some fronnies in a big 7ft with some msobo, rosstratus, leleupi, tropheus and a few other larger size malawi.

I wouldn't recommend keeping them with all neolamprolgus species ie. small shell dwellers as they might get chomped if the fronts do decide to breed :lol: