Daydream

New tank not happy advise please

POSTED FOR fish4fish3

Need peoples quick response and opinions on this please.

Ordered an 8x2x2 and was down the store when it arrived today. The maker hadn't fingered the silicone on the base and looks really dodgy... you can see where they have start / stopped several times along each side and in these points it doesn't feel like the bead of silicone is firmly attached.

really poor finish .

Should I reject it?

Cheers Roman 0432 689 533

Edited by Daydream

here is the full story with pics

Just wanted to vent and share this with others.

unfortunately you can't name and shame.

Ordered an 8x2x2 and pine stand and hood 3 weeks back at least ( I lost count of the weeks ) was down at the local LFS in Coffs Harbour today when it got delivered and thought awesome it's finally here. Then I saw it closer and here is what I found...

1.The bead of silicon around the base had not been pressed back into the joint,

2.you could see where they had start / stopped when laying the bead,

3.at the start / stop points the silicone was barely hanging on,

4.in the corners the silicone wasn't bonded together

5.the glass had not been burred ( had a tank not burred & every time I cleaned it I looked like a cutter )

6.there was smeared silicone on the glass

7.and newspaper still stuck everywhere on the bottom.

I can't believe she actually delivered it and expected some one to pay for it.

I had had enough of this LFS guy... Allthough he didn't build it he didn't help to the situation. At first he says it'll be 2 weeks, then says another 2 weeks after I call him at the end of the first week. Finally last Monday tells me Thursday (today).

With the stand and hood he started going on about the stand not fitting on a truck and they had to get another company and this was the main delay for me getting it on time. on the wednesday the week before he tells me it was put on a truck and should be here by the Monday just passed. On Monday I had called him and asked for a time and rings me back 30 min later saying it had just been put on a truck and will be here Thursday ( today ) Didn't arrive any way.

Would you pay $1500 for this? Best thing about it all is I got my $700 deposit back... Still owes me a dozen grey hairs and my time he wasted... Not to mention he has wasted the time of others as I had some one lined up to pick up my 6ft tank that I was selling and suppose to upgrade. I even forgot to mention that he tried to turn the situation around on me and accused me of wasting his time... What the ????

any way don't get a tank built in Lismore cause that's what you may get.

Here are only some of the defects mentioned as the others didn't come up clearly in the pics I snipered

DANGEROUS! Good chance of failure here

small0528.jpg

Dodgy corner...

small0537.jpg

You can sort of see here the bead is still round and not pressed in

small0535.jpg

Just another dodgy corner

small0532.jpg

Edited by fish4fish3
accidently put the devils name instead of stand

any way I need a new 8x2x2 still... Any one recommend a good builder in the local areas? I'm even considering ordering and shipping from Aquariums R us or aquarium warehouse cause Dalbarb wants $900 for the glass from Brontosaurus... still may be worth it as I like the clean corners and they have a good name that I believe can be truested and I don't think I could have my heart broken again.

Cheers Guys.

Mathobes,

there are 4 different LFS you can get a tank from here in Coffs, only 2 will order you a tank over 6ft and it's not a real LFS... the one you are thinking of is not actually in Coffs more so Sawtell and won't order you a tank over 6ft. so you can cross them of the list

any way I need a new 8x2x2 still... Any one recommend a good builder in the local areas? I'm even considering ordering and shipping from Aquariums R us or aquarium warehouse cause Dalbarb wants $900 for the glass from Brontosaurus... still may be worth it as I like the clean corners and they have a good name that I believe can be truested and I don't think I could have my heart broken again.

Cheers Guys.

Honestly i'd stay away from Aquariums R Us, Almost everyone you talk to has had a bad experience, the 8ft i inherited when i met the gf is from there and its like cleaning a razor blade.

hire a truck... Hmmm... Thanks for the idea but will end up costly paying the 1000km at $0.35+. ($350)+ fuel and hire

Will be cheaper to have them deliver it through their prefered carrier... but may still work out cheaper... glass $650 leaves $250 to transport... but doesn't get me a dalbarb at around the same price.

Am thinking on getting 8x2x3 high now for $1200 @ aquariums R us... and will be knocking out a recylced hardwood timber stand and hood myself.

If any one drives a truck up and down the coast and is willing to do a back load for me I'm also interested to hear back from you.

But keep the ideas coming as it all helps to work something out.

Cheers Roman 0432 689 533

Honestly i'd stay away from Aquariums R Us, Almost everyone you talk to has had a bad experience, the 8ft i inherited when i met the gf is from there and its like cleaning a razor blade.

Agree mate wouldent buy a 8ft from there in a million years !! they few tanks i have had from there only cut the **** out of me when doing water changes as it is. glad you got your coin back but mate !

All the complaining about sharp edges. Just get a bit of wet and dry sandpaper and a small sanding block. It only takes a few seconds to get rid of the sharpness. I have 8 tanks from them and all had been done. Probably a case where every now and then something slips through unfinished.