Gazzdogdiddy

Pretty new to Fish and want advice

Hi all

I got into fish at the begining of the year. I have a 3 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft tank with Green terrors in it and i have a 2ft x 1 ft x 1ft tank with kribensis in it.

I have got both pairs to breed once but the Green terror male has started to chase the female into a log i have and since then she hasnt come out only poking her head out once in a while. What should i do about that?

Also i have decided to plant my 2 ft tank and thinking of putting blue moscows in it with the kribensis is this alright?

I have the 3ft tank in the living room and the 2 ft tank in my bedroom with the lights on for 12 - 14 hours a day, would that hinder their breeding? i am keeping the tanks as clean as i can cleaning them atleast once a week is that good enough? Would it be better for breeding if i got a couple of cheap 2 ft tanks and put them in the garage with the lights not on as much or not at all and didnt clean the tanks as much?

Lastly, what are some nice fish that i would also be able to have in my planted tank and my 3 ft display tank?

Thanks for the help

Gary

Apistos Corys Rams Tetras for the 3ft planted .Guppys and kribs will work but they will eat each others fry.lights for 10 -12 hours a day wont stop them breeding but less hour would prob help.Cleaning all depends on what you are doing and how your doing it. but would consentrate more on water quality than tank cleanlyness

I wouldn't put anything in with the green terrors they'll kill anything that comes anywhere near their babaies if they do beed again. As for the kribensis, they should be fine with guppies but be warned that they will eat each others fry if either of the species breed. If you're looking to raise the fry of either species i think buying some 2ft's and putting them in the garage to grow up the babies in would be a good idea, as even though cichlids look after their babies they will generally decide to eat them when they are ready to breed again. In my experience that day/night exposure shouldn't affect breeding and you should always stive to have clean tanks when breeding as the fry are very susceptible to poor water quality. Good luck with your ventures... :)

^^^ He just beat me to it!

Just make sure your girl is eating, hiding is ok, but if she is bashed when she comes out for food and runs back to the hiding hole,thats another issue. If that is the case you may need to split the tank. Like let them see each other but he can't get to her,eg - place a removeable piece of perspex with room at top and bottom holes in it etc, maybe a flat rock on females side near block, that works and they can spawn like that and quite often its enough to let them get back together and live happily ever after