drmunroe

"To UV, or not to UV...that is the question..."

so ive heard that UV filters kill all bacteria that pass through it...& i understand that they are mainly used in marine aquariums...

so i guess my question is this:

What do YOU think about adding a UV filter to the filtration system? Yay? Nay? Reasons?

All thoughts appreciated...

cheers,

Mal

Hi Mal, I have been thinking of getting one for my tank as they can be of great benefit helping to fight certain "problems" we can all encounter in fishkeeping. They can help control algae - kill Ick and parasite spores - reduce bacterial blooms -help prevent secondary bacterial infections in sick or injured fish. I would not have it running all the time - just a couple of days a month should be needed to keep your water sterile and having one should you have any "problems" would be wise.

I am going to Aquarama in Singapore at the end of the month so will see if I can pick up a good buy there.

Cheers Graeme.

Personally I am not big on Uv as I have found when I buy fish from a place that uses UV I quite often get a bad batch of whitespot on those fish only. I personally think it does not allow the fishes natural imunne system to ick in properly as the water is sterile. But he thats just my opinion. Also I think it makes us lazy cause we don't water change as much.

i have used uv sterilisers for a while but i only use it on my discus tank as they are a bit more temperamental

and often pick up diseases but have not had any problems since i installed the uv it is hooked up to the outlet

hose from my canister filter so the water is filtered befor it passes threw the light so the light is on 24/7 but i think

1 or 2 days a week would give the same results

so if you were thinking of using one i think you only need them for touchy fish most other fish are pretty hardy

and dont really need it

thanks matt

Well for my 2 bobs worth..i think they are fantastic and wouldn't be without one

Keep in mind that the tubes do not last forever,if they are on 24/7 you will probably go thru 2 tubes per year..as they do loose there intensity thus there effectiveness,a 36watt will cost about $24 from guppies but i think that's cheap insurance

Mine also is on the return of the canister filter and the water quality is exceptional

I have a couple of the "stand alone" types from AoA that I've found effective in getting rid of some types of flukes (mobile gill flukes). I have heard that they are "bad for fish due their effectiveness" but I haven't actually seen any proof other that anecdotal evidence. Most of the published literature on UV is in water sterilisation for drinking water and for aquaculture (particularly Koi).

Myself I only drop a UV filter (these particular units from AoA are a standalone enclosed lamp with a small powerhead) into a tank if I detect a problem. Otherwise I don’t worry about using them. But this is principally just to conserve the lamp life and not to “waste” it needlessly if it really isn’t doing anything.

Ta

Graeme

Well im thinking of running one maybe a day or so per week. If i hook it up to the return pipe, it wont kill my good bacteria in the tank or my powerhead in the tank?

Only what passes through it im guessing...