Congrats to the new business owner, I have chosen not to spend much time on this site due to mostly the lack of actual content that is coming through and I feel that I am not learning or growing in the hobby. I am aware that the previous business owner created a censored site for minors and honestly (without being rude) was not being an adult friendly site. I felt that there was an overly moderated atmosphere. (this is just my opinion based on observations that I have witnessed) I hope that things start to relax here and people get back the content and the atmosphere of community that I felt when I first signed up. The community atmosphere has disappeared for alot of people and I think its sad and unfortunate.

It depends what you mean by 'adult friendly'. This forum, as I see it, is a place for help, advice and intellectual discussion. Not for a bunch of keyboard warrior yobos to use this as a place to slag each other off. And I personally don't believe that voulger language has any place on a fish keeping forum.

Just my thoughts but I like it the way it is. So what exactly do you mean by 'adult friendly'?

The king is dead !!!!!!

Long live the king

He didn't sit at the throne very long did he lol

Good luck with everything Johno, we had some fun over the years, hope to catchup next time im over the ditch, (If I can get past customs and all the arrest warrents out for me that is).

I hope Dean Pike didn't threaten your family! ROFL

Grum.

G' Day all

Well as you may have noticed I have been absent over the last few months and this is due to a new and exciting opportunity that has arisen for myself and my family and due to this I have not spent the time on the site as much as I would have liked to and what the site and you the members deserve. Over the next few months I will be able to give less and less time to you the members and to concentrate on the growth of the site and this is when I had to make a huge decision and that was to make sure that you the members could get the most out of the site.

As of yesterday I have sold the forum to man who is well known and respected within the qld area and more so by QLDAF members and this is Russ from Redlands Pet Centre, I believe by selling the site to Russ that he will help it to keep on growing with the main focus being you the member first and for most. I do believe that you will all show Russ the support and the loyalty that you have shown me over the years and also look towards the future with Russ at the helm to help guide you all to getting out as much as you put in.

I would also like to take 5 and just say that I have owned, managed many businesses over the years and have also been a member of many different clubs, groups and the like and in that time I have never witnessed such devotion and loyalty and pride in a group of people as I have been privileged and honoured to see here on this site. I thank you all for not only enriching others lives but also enriching my own and I would also like to thank Peter especially as he has been my right hand man and his loyalty to you all and his friendship will be that of a friend for life and this forum is just that much better for having someone like peter involved so heavily. I would also like to thank all of my team within the SM and FM's as you all have been that consistent and unwavering in your tireless efforts that helped make this forum what it is today.

I will be stepping down as Admin but will continue to be a member of this great site for many years to come and thank you all for making my life even more enriched for being able to help this site grow with all of your support.

Cheers

John

Congratulations on your new venture John. I hope you are very successful in whatever you choose to do.

Thank you all for your kind words of support and well wishes to myself and I am glad that the general view of Russ taking over has been met with enthusiasm support and overall view of looking forward.

On a quick note regards our little mate dean last I heard he was still trying to find out his own identity (brain cells) .. before he could attempt to find anything else..lol

Again thank you and I will still be around and look forward to catching up with all of you in the future.

Congrats Russ! I'm excited to see where you will take this forum. Thanks John, for the steps that you have already made to unite hobbyist and retailer and to create a knowledge based forum. I'm sure Russ will take your lead in wanting to create a "family friendly" forum and keep it one of the fastest growing sites in QLD.

So precisely what have all these nay-sayers added to the running or continuity of these forums, or of this site in general? I guarantee BNJ and Russ have done more. It's easy to sit back in your comfy leather office chair and type a barrage of criticism but it's entirely another to put your hand up and dedicate your own time. Running a site like this takes a lot of your own time and I find it pretty offensive that someone who runs his own business, which also takes a lot of time, is being attacked like this without giving him a fair go to see how he runs it.

Perhaps this is why there has been censorship. Idiots saying stupid things that don't really have any factual basis.

Edited by 63off

Normally I would agree with that statement, if it was anyone else but russ. I think russ has more than proved himself as a strong supporter of this forum. His forum members prices absolutely **** on anyone elses prices. And they areonly for our forum members. His staff are great and couldn't be more helpful. I have even seen Russ give stuff away to members to help them out. This bloke is all about the fish hobby and has my total support.

I couldn't be more wrapped about this. Good onya russ, can only get better.

Nick

I couldn't agree more, such a dedicated supporter of the hobby like Russ will outweigh any possible self interests that ordinarily a business running a "community" based operation like QLDAF might suffer. And besides, I think Euss understands the way of the future for the hobby and the integration of forums with business is it.

So precisely what have all these nay-sayers added to the running or continuity of these forums, or of this site in general? I guarantee BNJ and Russ have done more. It's easy to sit back in your comfy leather office chair and type a barrage of criticism but it's entirely another to put your hand up and dedicate your own time. Running a site like this takes a lot of your own time and I find it pretty offensive that someone who runs his own business, which also takes a lot of time, is being attacked like this without giving him a fair go to see how he runs it.

Perhaps this is why there has been censorship. Idiots saying stupid things that don't really have any factual basis.

I think you'll find that some of these 'nay-sayers' have contributed quite a lot to the forum as dedicated long serving members with good post counts as well as moderators so although your opinion is welcome and I'm sure your support is appreciated I think that fact checking is always wise before such comments :)

Edited by relle

Can't see any genuine naysayers, 63off, just a few people with concerns which is natural whenever there's a big change. Exactly the same thing happened when John took over from Glen...not a knock on Russ, it's just a natural thing.

As for idiots saying things that don't have factual basis...Pot. Kettle.

In this thread, designed as Johnno's own farewell, you would expect most would give him a pat on the back and wish him and his family well - both supporters and detractors.

Those that feel he has brought the forum forward and transformed it from what it was 12 months ago could congratulate him and say a candid thanks.

Those members who may have felt alienated by the Johnno's forum philosophy, structure and promotion of sponsors etc etc- could have either refrained from comment out of simple courtesy, or taken the time to recognise that here was a man who persistently strived to improve the forum and its members interests but in their eyes fell short.

Most decent people would think this surely. After all - we keep fish. Nothing more, nothing less. We keep fish because we enjoy it. We get some intangible benefit that makes us feel good inside.

Sometimes I think a few on this forum have forgotten that . Forgotten that magic of owning that first 2 foot tank or that first 6 footer. The wonder of growing up fry or buying that first bristlenose or even setting up the first canister filter or well planned sump:D

I can say that I respect Johnno and the unselfish way he has acted on this Forum. I know several members who perhaps needed to move on from here for continual inappropriate behaviour, but Johnno would always let them back on, see things from their perspective, accept their apologies (whether genuine or not). That was the person he was. He owned the forum financially, but he also owned the forum emotionally. He wanted a family friendly forum with a growing list of sections to gain the interest of our members. He would always ring me and say "Pete -what do you think of this , What do you think of that change?" Johnno always wanted to improve this site, sometimes at the expense of family time, sometimes at the expense of those in the hobby who misinterpreted his passion and principles for having a go and trying new things.

Love or detest Johno's forum direction and decisions, this thread should be one of respect or goodwill. Sadly there a few posts that show neither of these qualities.

People need to know that Johnno is a good man and his efforts have added immeasurably to our great hobby.

See you around Johnno .....

Edited by Peter
replaced smiley face at end with little dots :)