WaterPig

Macropore - How much to use per litre?

I know it's 1L of Purigen for 4000L of water for up to 6 months, but what about Macropore?

I just bought 2L of Macropore and the label says "This container will treat 1700 litres for approx. 6 months"

Does this sound correct? I thought both were similar in amount of product per litre?

macropore.jpg

Edited by WaterPig
Added Photo

Hey buddy, 2 Liters will treat 9600l so a liter will treat 4800.

The label should say 9600l not 1700l

Had me worried there, someone was drunk while typing that label! Thanks for clearing that up I have 1l in my cannister and the tank is 850l does that mean I wont have to recharge for at least 12 months? lol or possibly 2.5 years?

The 350ml does 1700 so some where along the line with the label they must have used the 350ml label and changed the size but not the amount.

Just keep in mind that, what is suggested, is a guide.

If you have a heavily populated tanks with a lot of driftwood you will need to recharge it earlier and everyone's tanks are different so just keep that in mind.

Seeing that you have used the other stuff too you should have a good idea on what you are doing anyway.

Have not used Purigen but did a fair bit of research before deciding to go with Macropore. My tank only has 100kg of Holey Rock a couple of Anubias and planning to stock around 60-70 africans currently at 43... ranging from 3-8cm in size.

yep 2L is a heck of a lot, and treats a heck of a lot of water.

it almost works too well though

As I have said before

it removes a lot of the work from keeping ya water crystal clear

pretty much counts as cheating!

yep 2L is a heck of a lot, and treats a heck of a lot of water.

it almost works too well though

As I have said before

it removes a lot of the work from keeping ya water crystal clear

pretty much counts as cheating!

Sounds like I'll have more time for another tank then ;)

I've had the Macropore running for a few hours now water still looks the same,

but then again it wasn't added to fix a problem but to improve the quality of water between WCs.

I have these tiny (<1 mm) white particles floating around in the water you can only see them up close but that's enough to bother me!

(Was there before adding Macropore so has nothing to do with that, and not air bubbles :()

Could it be tiny particles from the rocks? When I touch the rocks they lose a bit of the surface layer.

I turned the wave maker off overnight to see if it settles by morning,

but the particles seems to get close to settling and float straight back up!

Will need to fix this any ideas?

Just checked the water there appear to be slightly less particles floating around, don't think it's an algae bloom the water is not cloudy at all.

They don't appear to be living/moving either, could I be lacking mechanical filtration?

I am using Eheim 2080 (ceramic noodles (big and small), Aqua Clay, the small beige coloured balls, macropore, and standard blue and white sponges)

with Eheim 2217 (all standard media, wasn't using the white sponge before but put it in last night in attempt out the particles)

yep sounds like a mechanical filtration thing

adding in the white pads should get rid of it

but will mean you will need to open the filter to change white pad more frequently.

Otherwise the other option is to add a flocculant like api accuclear

that makes the little chunks stick to each other to create larger blobs

the other filter pads should then be able to seive these larger chunks out.

yep sounds like a mechanical filtration thing

adding in the white pads should get rid of it

but will mean you will need to open the filter to change white pad more frequently.

Otherwise the other option is to add a flocculant like api accuclear

that makes the little chunks stick to each other to create larger blobs

the other filter pads should then be able to seive these larger chunks out.

Thanks Donny, less filter maintenance sounds good!

Let me know when you guys get the VeggieMag in and I'll pick them up at the same time.

Cheers

Had me worried there, someone was drunk while typing that label! Thanks for clearing that up I have 1l in my cannister and the tank is 850l does that mean I wont have to recharge for at least 12 months? lol or possibly 2.5 years?

Hello again,

I have just responded to your question on your other post and will quickly add my apology here for the typo on the back of the label for Macropore. It has now been rectified and definitely had nothing to do with drinking, or at least that's how I remember it.

Also Macropore will remove any kind of detritus including free floating Algae, which is why you need a prefilter pad of some kind before it in your filter. The beads or resin act kind of like a sand filter to small particles, that is it can act like a barrier like any other kind of media. It needs to be kept in reserve for chemical exchange.

Regards Graham

27th March I put macropore in little bags in most of my canisters. To date I still don't get any nitrate readings on tests as the macropore takes care of it.

Should probably recharge or change them soonish though?

Hello again,

I have just responded to your question on your other post and will quickly add my apology here for the typo on the back of the label for Macropore. It has now been rectified and definitely had nothing to do with drinking, or at least that's how I remember it.

Also Macropore will remove any kind of detritus including free floating Algae, which is why you need a prefilter pad of some kind before it in your filter. The beads or resin act kind of like a sand filter to small particles, that is it can act like a barrier like any other kind of media. It needs to be kept in reserve for chemical exchange.

Regards Graham

No need for an apology Graham an honest mistake if I was more experienced in the hobby I would've known better.

Would using more than the recommended amount of product mean longer periods between recharges (since each bead would absorb less waste)?