matt_a

List of hybrids

I thought it might be useful to start compiling a list of hybrids that we sometimes see in our hobby. I will break the list down into 3 sections:

Known hybrids - fish that are known to be hybrids

Possible hybrids - fish that are suspected of being hybrids, but cannot be proven or the jury is still deliberating

Sometimes hybrids - fish that are known to be hybrids sometimes, but not always ie: some strains are hybrid, whilst others are pure species.

I will kick off the list, and if anyone can think of something to add, please comment with the name of the fish with the heading it belongs under and I will add it to the list.

KNOWN HYBRIDS

Blood Parrot

King Kong Parrot

Bubblegum Parrot

Flowerforn

Red Texas

Chilli Endlers

Tiger Endlers

OB Peacock

Marble Peacock

Tangerine Peacock

Dragon's Blood Peacock

Firefish Peacock

Pinkowski Peacock

POSSIBLE HYBRIDS

Electric Blue Jack Dempsey

White Knight Electric Blue

Bristlenose Catfish

SOMETIMES HYBRIDS

Discus

Angelfish

Siamese Fighters

Edited by matt_a
I have edited the naming of the categories to avoid derailing the thread with debate on whether or not hybrids are acceptable

Do you define 'hydrid' as a cross between species?

Also:

L066/L333

Angelfish?

For the purpose of this post, we will define "hybrid" as the cross between two species. Intra-specific hybrids are another thing all together.

As far as I know, despite the fact that L066 & L333 will hybridize, they are both naturally existing species and/or varients.

is this ment to help people???? its biased

why do you consider know hybrids a no no?

Yes, the whole goal of this is to help people! As for why hybrids are so detrimental to our hobby, thats a whole other kettle of fish. If you want to delve into that topic, start another thread. I don't want to turn this thread to turn into a debate on such things, thats not the purpose of it.

Interesting.....

Chilli Endlers

Tigers Endlers

No no in the hobby???

Yet....

Any black bar endler with a white dorsal(most being sold as Pure!)

are actually hybrids

I see selling hybrids as pure is more of a " No no"

For the purpose of this post, we will define "hybrid" as the cross between two species. Intra-specific hybrids are another thing all together.

As far as I know, despite the fact that L066 & L333 will hybridize, they are both naturally existing species and/or varients.

Then I'm not sure what you're trying to acheive.

If its a hybrid its a hybrid, but only if its been done in captivity, but if its a possibly naturally occuring hybrid then its not a hybrid?

anyway, its your thread!

Then I'm not sure what you're trying to acheive.

If its a hybrid its a hybrid, but only if its been done in captivity, but if its a possibly naturally occuring hybrid then its not a hybrid?

anyway, its your thread!

I'm simply trying to collate a list of known hybrids for the education and benefit of all members.

As for naturally occuring hybrids? Essentially thats evolution in progress? Which is definately a seperate topic from man made hybrids. It might possibly make for interesting discussion in another thread, but once again its not the purpose of this thread.

Yes, the whole goal of this is to help people! As for why hybrids are so detrimental to our hobby, thats a whole other kettle of fish. If you want to delve into that topic, start another thread. I don't want to turn this thread to turn into a debate on such things, thats not the purpose of it.

well by including such stuff like saying those fish shouldnt be in the hobby you are kind of asking for trouble. fish like flowerhorn are selective bred for desigred traits and most true hobbiest cull the other fish that dont meet up to there standards.

i sudgest you edit it so it doesnt include your personal oppions

I have removed the word no no in the first post.

Remember the rules here, first and foremost all are to be treated with respect. Sceondly we do have a section for discussion of hybrids. Sometimes the decision as to where to place a for sales thread can be a difficult decision due to the question - hybrid or not.

Lets ensure we keep the discussion respectful and positive please.....

Steve

I'm simply trying to collate a list of known hybrids for the education and benefit of all members.

As for naturally occuring hybrids? Essentially thats evolution in progress? Which is definately a seperate topic from man made hybrids. It might possibly make for interesting discussion in another thread, but once again its not the purpose of this thread.

could it be possible that the natural hybrids are still being caused by man? cause we destroy one species habitiat forsing them to live in another and they breed togther??? mans actions still caused this cross????

could it be possible that the natural hybrids are still being caused by man? cause we destroy one species habitiat forsing them to live in another and they breed togther??? mans actions still caused this cross????

I read a scientific paper that polution in Lake Victoria has made it difficult for the fish to correctly ID partners. and hence hybrids were being recorded in the lake.....

Very possible. The intervention of man is definately having an impact in some natural ecosystems. But again, this belongs in another thread which you can feel free to start.

how is a long fin bn a hybrid?

and angels, most angels you see are all scalare, can't say i've ever seen a Pterphyllum altum x Pterphyllum scalare in Aust ever.

IMO colour forms in angels and lf varients are selectively bred, they dont exist in the wild cause of this thing called natural selection, cause you aint going to last long if your fins affect how you swim or if your colour makes you stick out like dog balls

how is a long fin bn a hybrid?

and angels, most angels you see are all scalare, can't say i've ever seen a Pterphyllum altum x Pterphyllum scalare in Aust ever.

IMO colour forms in angels and lf varients are selectively bred, they dont exist in the wild cause of this thing called natural selection, cause you aint going to last long if your fins affect how you swim or if your colour makes you stick out like dog balls

The ancestry of all our commong bristlenose (and derivatives thereof) cannot be confirmed, hence they are in the "possible" category. They may indeed be a true naturally occuring species, but the jury is still out on this one.

And in regards to angels, much the same as with bettas and discus, I'm not saying that all fish avaialble are hybrids, but there are many that believe that the angelfish varieties we commony see may infact be a hybrid of P. scalare and P. leopoldi.

yeh i get what your saying but where did all these "hybrids" originally come from?

and wouldnt that make migaloo a hybrid?

like i said in my previous post, you don't/very rarely see them in the wild due to natural selection, if you stick out your going to become someones lunch sooner or later

imo Migaloo's days are numbered, once a decent shark see's him its going to be far harder for him to hide than a normal non albino humpback

no malice intended either, so if i offend anyone, get over it.

Just because something has long fins, a slightly different colour or is albino does not necessarily make it a hybrid..

There have always been variations on the norm within a species - these are the things that may or may not get selected for.