chooks

Hypancistrus sp. Lower Xingu spawn

Hey Chook awesome effort. Were the parents wild caught?

If you have a pic of the parents and would like to share that it would be great too.

From what I understand they have not been given a "L-Number" at this stage or been defined for that matter.

Were they relatively easy to spawn or were there techniques used to get them to start?

If I am correct Lower Xingu is the collection point to which they came. It would seem that they are a scribble plec.

Hey Chook awesome effort. Were the parents wild caught?

If you have a pic of the parents and would like to share that it would be great too.

From what I understand they have not been given a "L-Number" at this stage or been defined for that matter.

Were they relatively easy to spawn or were there techniques used to get them to start?

If I am correct Lower Xingu is the collection point to which they came. It would seem that they are a scribble plec.

Hi there,

The parents I believe are a mixture of WC and CB specimens. I took over the colony (2m2f) from another hobbyist and he was not able to breed them in his tank.

They are relatively easy to spawn, and once they start it's hard for them to stop. The alpha male would be the only one mating and both females are active. I get one spawn every month :)

My tank setup is a partitioned 2x1.5x1.5 bare tank with black oyama on the bottom and back, with sponge filter and an over-head filter. I have 3 terra cotta caves for them to spawn in.

Fries are relatively easy to raise, although I have lost a few batches due to ich. The main reason was because my old setup had fine sand and that trapped a lot of dirt. I added a heater to 31deg, and had no casualties thereafter.

Hypan sp. 'LX' still doesn't have a L-number allocated to them as of now, and yes they are collected from the Xingu. A lot of unidentified hypans just gets labelled as LX by some shops, hence it can get quite messy when it comes to the ID.

Father

6543298635_c34c89f912_z.jpg

cant find the picture of the female lol

maybe a video of the colony? This was taken from my old setup.. i'll never use gravel in my hypan tanks again lol!

bad decision to put my female dovii into the partition with my L401 male which i was able to find a mate for.. sold all of them in the end

Edited by chooks