rainbowrunner

Pond Ideas - What to use?

I breed and keep small natives ie. rainbowfish, blueyes and try to have species only ponds so they basically breed themselves and i can just keep thinning the population for a display tank or give-aways/swap to other native enthusiasts. I also occasionally add new stock to add to the gene pool.

My problem is my birthday is coming up and the kids want to buy me a large display tank but I dont want the extra power bill or work associated with it. I use air bubbles in my ponds and natives require no heating where I am.

Have talked them into a pond or 2 depending what we can get.Would really like something i can put a viewing panel in.

I know about IBCs and have a bathtub as well for rainbowfish growout,Bunnings black tubs are a bit small for what I want.

Pics are of what I already have.

Any ideas what can be used or on a budget, cheap ponds? Big black telstra boxes? cattle troughs, half water tanks? truck oil pans? cut down plastic industrial bins?

post-4136-1471162732456_thumb.jpg

post-4136-14711627324714_thumb.jpg

post-4136-14711627324901_thumb.jpg

post-4136-14711627324276_thumb.jpg

more pics and info click HERE

Edited by rainbowrunner

Or build a wooden box around it with a few holes cut in the wood for viewing holes. And for temp moderation you could put insullation vats between the wood and the ibc, put pond liner on top and then create a garden around it.

Man now I want a pond lol

This might be of interest to you - There was a post on here "Really big tank on Ebay" - (tried to copy and paste) I saw it on ebay and phoned the guy - It may not have sold. It was a huge outdoor fibreglass job with viewing panels..University at St Lucia had it built for work with baby bull sharks.Thats were it was located.

be careful as you dont want the bills but how are you going to keep the water clear enough to make use of a viewing window?....you'll need a uv filter or lots of plants(so all you see is plants??)....you can also make a nice pond out of big sleepers and pond liner....you have tons of options if you have the room...Ive used kids pools(good for fish grow outs or smaller fish)...adults pools(opens up lots of options for fish)...when using the pools...I dont add fish until it has cycled that well that nice green algae lines the inside(usually a couple of months outside then I do a big water change too)...BIG black tubs from bunnings(some have them some dont)...masters has a nice rectangle pond(about 4'x4' and probably 45cm deep but it goes for around $200)....if you go cheap on the pond..you can spend more on the plant life to cover up the sides....or on the filter to keep it clear....really depends on your area and the look you want....

Seems to be no problem with temperature changes, the fish just seem to go off their food in the cold weather. The water does stay quite clear due to plants and water lillies I think, but i do get green stringy algae. I aerate my ponds and would probably use a sponge filter if I had a viewing window.

This is one of the ponds the water is very clear but the fish are excited and stirred up the bottom.

The window is not a necessity as I do have a 4ft unheated fishtank outside that I fill with fish from the ponds in the summer months.

Pacific Blue Eyes stay in the fishtank in winter and seem to have no problem even with rapid temperature changes, and from 2 degrees in winter to 35 in summer.

My house but dont want to go down the pond liner path.

Ponds need to be at least 20cm above ground level so that toads do not get in. But can dig them in a bit.

IBCs if I can get black or green ones.

I ll have a look at those masters ponds.

Anyone know who makes these telstra boxes?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfN8aXE4hNHtzflAEZggMoYq_pTzqLv  BF_Hdvrri_6KFbhQCrzNg

Edited by rainbowrunner