My green terror has developed a big lump on the right side of his face. I think there is a mark behind his left eye too :(

He has been very still the last few days. Just sitting in the corner of the tank and I haven't seen him eat.

I've added melafix to the water today.

Is this a disease or injury?

How can I help him?

Video below shows the lump

Should I put him in a tank on his own? He's currently sharing with a green Texas, a clown loach, 2 guarmis, 3 flying foxes and a catfish.

Edited by Flanagan001
url not working

It is difficult to tell for sure, but given it does not seem to be open at all, but a closed lump, this is likely some type of cyst growth. I doubt it is catching that is the good news. Not sure if much can be done for it.

Donny might have some thoughts........ Where's Donny

Could be a stab from the clown loach thats got infected. It does look an aweful lot like a puncture wound.

Water quality looks good, perhaps some salt and melafix is the way to go?

If ya wanted to go all out, this is a textbook case where Voogle would be helpful.

Thank you. I've added melafix and a teaspoon of salt to the tank.

The lump has opened today, it looks very red.

Should I add the salt as well as the melafix?

If so, how much salt should I add?

The tank is 276 litres.

Thanks, I don't wanna lose my GT!

Edited by Flanagan001
further question added

I agree with DFF. I had a Festae that was stabbed by a crazy Clown Loach and it came up in a lump and basically came up like a boil. I moved the injured festae into a hospital tank and used salt and Seachem Stress Guard. Eventually it fully recovered.

I agree with DFF. I had a Festae that was stabbed by a crazy Clown Loach and it came up in a lump and basically came up like a boil. I moved the injured festae into a hospital tank and used salt and Seachem Stress Guard. Eventually it fully recovered.

OK, so do you think I should move him to a tank on his own?

I have a 2ft tank that's not in use. Would that be OK?

I've been adding melafix into the main tank since yesterday, if I move him into another tank do I start the process again?

I personally never medicate my main tanks simply because they are all over 6ft. Also moving the patient to a smaller tank enables you to use less medication and also control and maintain water quality.

In saying all that, if you've already started medicating and don't yet have the hospital tank setup, maybe its best to continue what you are doing.

Someone else may have a different approach.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Good luck!

I personally never medicate my main tanks simply because they are all over 6ft. Also moving the patient to a smaller tank enables you to use less medication and also control and maintain water quality.

In saying all that, if you've already started medicating and don't yet have the hospital tank setup, maybe its best to continue what you are doing.

Someone else may have a different approach.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Good luck!

Thank you. I'll set the 2nd tank up (just in case) but carry on treating the main tank. If he doesn't improve, the hospital tank will be ready for him

1 tablespoon per 20L of aquarium salt, yes use with melafix. It works best as a combo.

basically you need to give your fish good water quality for it to be tough enough to fight off infections and recover.

As a last resort a multicure medication with the ingredient acriflavine can be used, but this is drastic.

If you can help the fish heal with melafix/salt, then that is best for all involved.

A hospital tank is merely a death tank if you do not have a spare cycled filter to add to it.

Yep internal infections from puncture wounds are never pretty (still just a guess tho)

It does look more like an infection than a nodule, which is, if not great, at least better than it could be.

as stated above, surgery is an option. But vets qualified and confident are in short supply.

Though not in as short supply as aquarists willing to pay for their services.

Ya can but stay the path mate

cichlids can recover from savage injurys indeed.

Have you added salt yet?

If it continues to worsen

then there is the question of at what point you put it down

and that is a question only you can answer mate

:(

Sorry for the late reply. yes, I've added the salt and done the 25% water change (as directed)

He appears to be recovering. Still very raised but doesn't look as angry. I'll keep you posted. Thank you!!

[

QUOTE=DeadFishFloating;487258]Yep internal infections from puncture wounds are never pretty (still just a guess tho)

It does look more like an infection than a nodule, which is, if not great, at least better than it could be.

as stated above, surgery is an option. But vets qualified and confident are in short supply.

Though not in as short supply as aquarists willing to pay for their services.

Ya can but stay the path mate

cichlids can recover from savage injurys indeed.

Have you added salt yet?

If it continues to worsen

then there is the question of at what point you put it down

and that is a question only you can answer mate

:(

Help....Nobby appeared to be getting better. The lump on his face burst and bled. but now has greatly reduced in size.

The problem now is he still spends all day hiding, sitting on the floor. I never see him eat. He has also lost all of his colour.

His scales are no longer s shimmering blue, they are dull and nearly the same colour of his face (green)

What can i do?