brittles

Very sick barramundi - help please

Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm a beginner fish keeper at best and I've currently got a barramundi who is only tiny, about 8cm long, who is very sick. He has what looks like cotton balls / fluff like stuff growing out of his mouth, gills and part way down his side. Also, it's only growing on one side of him.

He was fine then I did a routine water change and this stuff grew overnight. Can anyone point me in the direction of what might be wrong with him? I temporarily have two other fish in the tank with him and they appear to be fine; they are eating and pooping as normal.

Thanks in advance.

Hey mate welcome to qldaf:)

Sorry to hear bout your barra! Try a google search for columnaris and see if it matches what you are seeing.. Some pics would really help to see what it might be.. How big is the tank? How long has it been set up? What filters does it have? How much and how often do you change the water?

Hi all, thanks for your help. Definitely appreciate it. I've done some reading and it definitely looks like Columnaris. Attached is a picture, it's not great as I took it with my Blackberry as I was running out the door this morning but the white spots are the fluff like growth. It's pretty terrible.

He's currently in a 4ft tank that's been setup for just under a year, I've got a 6ft tank cycling to put him in when it's ready. I use an internal 1200L/hr filter (sponge) and I change about 15 - 20% of the tank water every 2 weeks. The tank is kept at 24C as well. He's been dodgy since we bought him from the store, losing scales and looking generally flaky. Could he have been like this when we bought him or is it something I've done?

post-7700-14711627331699_thumb.jpg

One of my favorite websites for info when I am not 100% sure, is this one

Bacterial infections | The Skeptical Aquarist

for columnaris they reference an article that suggest either potasioum permangante dips, or tetramycin. the good news is tetramycin is the usual antibacterial avaiable in aquarium stores.

I do not think melafix is going to be strong enough, and would look for something else.

Just as a point of reference I alway have promethaysul on hand as a first strike against anything that looks nasty. If serious then I go looking for hardcore drugs, like antibacterials......

I am afraid the prospects for your fish are slim, and like so many diseases, it is likely due to the stress of moving.

Unfortunately the barra didn't make it. I'll continue to treat the tank as I don't want the infection to turn up on my other fish.

I'm definitely going to have to try something different as I don't want that to ever happen again.