jubes

Need help asap!! Please read if you know how to resilicone tanks etc

hi all, Ive been screwed over by a fellow forum member who sold me a system of 2 6ft tanks on a tier stand with sump and tanks etc for $600. So i set it all up pump etc did all the plumbing and it starts to leak. So I checked all the hoses etc from the sump and it doesnt seem to leak on any of them. They are all new. So i get down to checking the water around the 6ft tank and its just leaking out of there i think. So i spent the last two days cutting all the old silicone out and refilling it. Now its leaking again. WTF im losing my **** and need help. Is there anyone out there that would be willing to spare me 10 mins and help me out. I need it fixed asap as I have fish coming. Fish coming is great but no tanks for them sucks. This forum member knows ill never deal with them again after this. I am not impressed to spend this money and get this leaking tank for my money. MAJORLY PISSED! please give me a hand someone there will be beers for you.

Are the stands perfectly level and not twisted at all? I made a sump leak in the last month by not having the stand set right.. It put pressure on the joins.. Also it may have re-leaked if you didn't let the silicon cure for long enough.. It isn't very warm at the moment so may take longer than instructions say! HTH

Also... It's kinda just how it goes buying second hand tanks:( if you sat them funny in moving them you could have hurt the join? I'm not saying they were fine or not when you got them, just some possible reasons they could leak after a move?

thats why its good to view the tanks with water in them and slowly fill them up when u get them home

please don't name and shame, that will just get this thread deleted,

use this link and send in a dispute, without this the admin can't do anything to help, use this and it will be looked at, i know it won't help you today, but it will be resolved

http://www.qldaf.com/forums/general-trader-15/dispute-resolution-section-process-follow-44451/

Sorry to hear about your problem. I'm unable to help you out personally, and I do hope you find somebody living nearby who can help. If not, you might try digging out the silicone again on the side that is leaking, and when you resilicone it again, run a piece of glass, say 5cm wide, flat along that edge and silcon that on also. This should strengthen and seal the edge. Then leave it for at least 48 hours for the silicon to cure before filling the tank again.

I don't know you or the person you bought the tanks from, but I would like to point out though, that the tanks may not have been leaking when they were sold to you. It is always a possibility when buying big tanks second hand that the act of moving them may cause leaks to develop. Unless you are certain the tank was leaking prior to the sale and the seller knew it, benefit of the doubt may apply.

Cheers, Doug

yeah i know. The point of this thread is to point out if someone is out there, id really appreciate their help. It just sucks mate. Cant afford to buy another system. What else do i do with fish coming tuesday?

i seen these tanks running before you bought them and they were fine,it is just part of buying second hand tanks everyone knows that!!a tank can sit there for 20 years fine and as soon as you empty it and move it the silicone lets go in places.and if you have no room for fish why are you on here tonight trying to by bn??

I have deleted a few posts.

Please be aware that this is not the place to discuss any dispute. If Jubes wants to raise a dispute he knows how, he has been around for a while..... It is also not the place to defend anyone either.

I am allowing this to stand as Jubes is looking for help. If you do not want to help, maybe don't post......

mate strip the silicone on the inside give alite rub with wet n dry only were u want the silicone to go back on reseal it and smear with ur thumb not fingure as thumb leaves wider silicone trail sit the tank in a small room wit 2 heaters running to help it dry for 48 hrs ive only done this on a 4,2,2 tank it worked but also done it on smaller tanks i can come help but not till friday nite so if u can wait that long im willing to help

mate if it dont work i can lend a six ftr til we get it rite ul hav to pik it up thow feel for u bro

G'day mate if u really get stuck I'm at Goodna I have a few tanks half empty. If you need to house your fish or need to borrow let me know. What fish are you expecting?

Hi There

When it comes to second had tanks they can be perfect for one person and then the next owner a disaster. Sometime when you completely empty a large tank and then let it dry and fill it up again the silicon can let go and leak. Now in some cases this will happen and the new owner will think "thats why they sold it" when in fact it was completely innocent

Anyhow to get back on track.

I find it easier if you remove the leaking panel and silicon COMPLETELY. give the glass edges a good s****e with a NEW razor blade and then clean up the joins with some acetone then some metho. One you get it all cleaned you can re-silicon the glass sheet back in place. Also as a tip you can usually buy picture frame straps at some of the cheap $2 shops, theses straps are great for holding the tank (glass) together while it dries