Well I've just walked in this evening to find pretty much everything in my 3ft tank either belly up on the bottom, or stranded in the middle of the carpet in my lounge room.

All up I've lost ~20 Red Zebras, ~6 Cobalt Blues and 2 Black Calvus.

I'd only bought the Zebs and Cobalts a couple of months ago to establish some breeding colonies (picking up tanks for my system on Monday). I've had the Calvus for 18 months and they were getting to a real good size (upwards of 8cm) and showing breeding signs.

I've checked all my water parameters and I think it is a pH problem. It looks like it has gone through the floor. The reading is lighter than the lowest reading on the pH Test card (so lower than 7.4). Other than that, Ammonia was nil, Nitrite nil, Nitrate 5ppm. Water temp is ~28. I last did a water change on Wednesday. Did a 25% change and everyone has looked happy since then

How does this happen?

I have a calcium carb substrate, and had a couple of calcium carb rocks in the tank. The substrate would be going on 2 years old, the rocks only about a year.

Is it a problem with the calcium carb no longer producing enough buffer?

I'm at a loss, and I'm gutted. I can't even bear to look at the tank at the moment.

I need to go and lie down......

dude the calc carb does stop being effective adn yes the ph will tend to dive but to loose fish in that number suggests more poisoning than anything else

cichlids will tolerate a surprising low ph just so long as it goes down slowly they acclimatise

everytime ive had a similar problem was the new water sometimes the council will do horrible things to the water and even 10% waterchange will kill the fish

sorry for the loss unless you can take the water to a shop and do a full work up on the water

peter

i agree with peter doesn't sound like ph was the problem to me either.

sometime these things are just mysteries of fish keeping

i remember many years ago coming home to find everything but bristlenose dead in my 6ft a there was no logical reason.

sorry about your loss

Thanks for the help guys.

I've been wracking my brain to try to remember if I used the Water Ager when I did my water change as that is about the only thing I can think of.

I'm positive I distinctly remember doing it though.

Anyways, I'm off to the LFS this morn with a water sample to see what they say.

Good news is I managed to rescue about 15, who are all healthily swimming about in a hospital tank this morning.

Sorry for your loss djdl as was mentioned before, this sometimes happens with no apparent resean.

We to had a huge die off following a water change a year or so ago. I lost approx 200 Texas Fry, 100 White Tailed Acei, 100 Electric Blues and Yellows. All because the local council had stuffed with the local water supply and had failed to mention it in the local rag. :hothead:

You mentioned having completed a 25% water change, that doesn't really seem much in itself unless you can narrow it down in a complete water analysis.

Another thing that I have heard of that can cause problems is as follows and is a good hint to remember.

With Canister type filter [internal or external] the main active component is the bacteria that colonizes the filter medium. When the filtration is turn off for any reasonable lenght of time, this bacteria begins to die. Depending on the length of time the filter is off for will dictate the extent to which that happens. Of course this beging the case, when the filter is then turned back on it is prone to inject dead bacteria into your water and can have a dramatic effect on your tanks water parameters. Solutions I have used are:

1. Clean the filter completely once a year or when doing a complete strip down of tanks

2. If doing a partial WC place the filter or hoses into a bucket of water containing water from the tank and keep it running that way your bacteria will stay alive.

Hope this helps

RM

Well I got my water checked at the LFS this morning and, as expected, all was well except the pH level which was about 7.4

He seems to think that I've forgotten to add Water Ager, which gets chlorine killing off bacteria and then that's it for the fish.

Spewing. At least I managed to save half a dozen of each species

I would tell the lfs they are dreaming. Gold Coast water only has chlorine in it, no chloramines. You only have to run a hose through a shower head to get rid of chlorine. Cichlids can handle 30% water change easy with no neutraliser. If your filters were running when you addded the water, the chlorine would of evaporated quickly anyway. Sure calvus might of thought you were a wanker & felt the pinch. If this had of killed off all your bacteria, where are your water spikes? The mind boggles, as must the the lfs employee.

You did the water change2 days earlier.... the fish would of been letting you know, I can't breath man, look at usflashing our gills at 100 miles/hour.

Cal carb etc is limited in what it does & people way over value what it does. Once algae, waste etc forms a layer over it, it does ball all.

With water changes, add bi carb soda, epsom salts, marine salt to water changes if ya wanna be fussy about it & deal with the goldies soft water. There is a recipe on the cichlid forum.

For all the fish to die like that leads me to poisioning. Anyone spray the house for insects, the yard etc? I was going to say power cuts? But that would of shown in water quality too.

Frenchy :sheep:

Yer good point about the spraying Frenchie. Many folks forget that even if they spray flies ect. away from the immediate location of the fish tank, the air pump [unless mounted outside the room or house] will draw in particles thereby transferring them via the air bubbles into your tank :esup: .

RM

yeah dude no using water ager might have killed em but for em to go down soo quickly i dont think so it had to be more than just the regular dose

If im topping up my tanks i often dont use prime at all for anything less than 10% and have had fish survive quite well without any prime whatso ever saying that everynow and then council will tirple dose or run something new through the pipes

peter

good luck getting them to tell you also lance had a long discussion about what goes through the water and theyre very slow about telling anything

Thanks again guys. I guess it'll go down as one of those mysteries of fish keeping.

As far as I know there was no spraying around here lately, though we've just had some guys move in next door a month or so ago after that house had sat empty for two years.

They DID spray around that time. My flatmate came home and walked into his bedroom and saw heaps of spray coming in through his window. This right after he'd just spent ~$8,000 setting up a marine tank. Was not a happy camper.

Yeah I heard about that Pikey, but I changed water in all my tanks that day (10 all up) and only had problems with that one.

I think it's definitely a case of poisoning somewhere along the line. Speaking to Brad the other day he seems to think sometimes it's as simple as a cockroach being sprayed and then ending up in the tank. I've had a few baits out the last few weeks as we had some running around, and there was one right near the tank so maybe that explains it.

Guess I'll never know.

I would tell the lfs they are dreaming. Gold Coast water only has chlorine in it, no chloramines. You only have to run a hose through a shower head to get rid of chlorine. Cichlids can handle 30% water change easy with no neutraliser. If your filters were running when you addded the water, the chlorine would of evaporated quickly anyway. Sure calvus might of thought you were a wanker & felt the pinch. If this had of killed off all your bacteria, where are your water spikes? The mind boggles, as must the the lfs employee.

You did the water change2 days earlier.... the fish would of been letting you know, I can't breath man, look at usflashing our gills at 100 miles/hour.

Frenchy :sheep:

i actually hate to agree with Frenchy :) juss jokes, but in all my years of fish keeping, i have never ever ever used or bought neutraliser, i never use any additives to the water when doing water changes ever, for you r fish to roll like that and that quickly, like frenchy said i would be looking at some other alternatives. i run my water into the systems slowly through a spreader, no additives EVER! and have had many delicate fish over the years, tangs etc. hope you get it sorted and glad you have some fishes alive still, take it easy. For the LFS to state u forgot to add neutraliser is a generic answer for i am unsure, due to the fact it could be many many reasons, like Brad said the old roaches, or bugs etc, nice food for the fish if they have ingested something. Glad to hear once again all the rest of your fish are ok, never nice to lose them. Ray

calc carb never stops working but doesnt have as much effect as some people think. limestone works just as well and you can get it as small as 1mm which works better than larger gravel, this small gravel in a filter with all the water movement will have a much greater buffering effect. with that many fish co2 levels would be high and the more co2 the lower the ph. also how large was the water change? and how long since youve done one? fish get used to chemicals/salts in the water and thier cells either have to be in equilibrium with the sourounding water or they continually excrete them, so a sudden large change with signifigantly different water chemistry will cause some chemicals/dissolved ions to either rush in or out of thier cells causing cell damage. did it coinside with the excess flouride in the water? other wise mayb poisoning like the other said. were the buckets used for anything else? or exposed to chemicals? i dont use fly spays incestisides in the house dont wana take the risk.

cheers

mick