Yoshi

Rainbow cichlid spawned :)

so this morning i as i was feeding the fish i noticed that a rock that i put in the rainbow cichlid tank is covered with eggs. maybe around 100-200 (hard to count as they are up the back)

I will try and get some pics to put up here but because the rock it at the back of the tank and there is pot plants in front of it etc its a bit hard.

but what i found strange was that the male has become quite.... defensive of the eggs. i thought that the male and female will both guard the eggs and fry and not be aggressive towards each other?

I found her this morning trying to hide next to a pot plant that i have in there. and every time she would try and swim out the back of the tank (about 75 litres) the male would chase her away... she has not been attacked like her fins and tale are all 100% intact. i just dont want her to die from stress.

so should i move her to another tank or just let them sort it out? I am sorta thinking that i could let them sort it out as they reckon the eggs will hatch in 2 or 3 days?

Thanks

so an update.

she is now hiding in her plastic pot that i cut a door out of. i dont think she is going to come out because of the male. he pokes her head out but wont actually come all the way out. i will check to make sure they are eating and tomorrow night if i dont see her physically eating i might move her then.

update. so i came home tonight with all intentions of moving the male into the grown out tank but when i had a look at the tank there is about 15 eggs left :( after i moved the male the female started eating the eggs /sigh but she did stop so i have like 10 or so eggs left.

so i was thinking in moving the rainbows from the 63 litre tank into the grow out 4ft tank and leave a pair of Apistogramma cacatuoides in there and move out the german blue rams into the 63 litre (trio)

or should i leave the GBR in there and move the pair of apisto into the 63 litre.

help/advice would be great.

only issue that i can see that if i want to put other fish in the grow out like kribs angles etc (to grow them out) i would have to wait until they are like at least 2-3cms? or are the rainbows and apisto's really non aggressive?

ok so after the move into the 4ft tank the rainbow cichlid's spawned and now i have wrigglers. the male is being super aggressive not even allowing the female to get close (i have 3 GBR and 2 bn in there as well) no other fish has any marks on them but yeah. hopefully in a week ill have some free swimming babies :)

So biggest of **** :-( checked on the free swimming babies today and they r all gone someone ate them all, I'm so annoyed and disappointed, i thought these guys should be good parents but it seems the female tries to eat them all the time, the only other fish I have in there is the gbr but u don't think they would have eaten them.

Ffs

And advise would be good

mmm yeah maybe. ill keep trying. just frustrating when u see the babies and they get to free swimming fry and im all excited to feed them and to see them grow up, and then some r-tard eats them all.

i'd guess there isn't 1 member who hasn't lost a batch or 10 of wrigglers or eggs, its part of the ups and downs,

they will breed again, but be ready this time, make sure you have a spare tank, and i'd move the other fish out, including the bn, they will eat the eggs if given a chance,

they seem to be getting better each time, so hopefully this time you will get free swimming fry, i'd then move half into the spare tank, this way you shouldn't lose them all,

ok so looks like the rainbows have spawned again. i was talking to cram (the person who i got them from) and he thinks it may be that the male ate the free swimming fry as the male wanted to mate again. looks like he was pretty spot on.

so this time i will remove the male into another tank while the fry grow to a decent size. there will still be the GBR's in there but if the female cant defend from them then she is a ***** :P

wish me luck.

so fry are going ok here is a pic of them

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Qrek2dPiY0c/UG_Vbm5iQKI/AAAAAAAAAxM/gZj3qwR_o0A/s805/20121006_165049.jpg

U can see there is a GBR in the background. he/she have picked off about 6 or 7 fry when i was watching yesterday, but they only got the fry that strayed far from the pack which is ok.