gingerbeer

Tips for feeding baby fry

Interested in seeing people tips, maybe sharing recipes for feeds and cultures.

For bigger size fry my favorite trick is taking my NLS and putting it in the mortar and pellis. gives me great food for feeding baby fry. Only problem is when the wife catches me using her mortar and pellis.......

Ive gone one step further. Got hiraki pellets, placed in a piece of folded paper and used a hammer to crush. Hubby comes homes to me cross legged hammering what looks like just the tiles as ive folded the paper a million times.His face was priceless. Kinda glad i dont have fry anymore haha

Mortor and pestle thumbs up.

Ours will never make it into the kitchen again lol.

Had some discussions on there about live cultures, baby brine shrimp etc. Its obvious you get good results with these, but the old flake or pellets crushed up works fine.

Edited by kasman

yep i thought mortar and pestle..another one I use is the tablet grinder(plastic screw type) for a variety of pellets(can make a powder salad :)) and for algae/spirulina tabs..i like this too because you get different sized "bits" to use as feed....powder for the smallest guys and larger particles for older guys...just something Ive noticed recently is the growth my fry I get in a tank with tons of plants and then in a tank superclean with no plants...the fry in the planted tank are doubling the size of the fry in the unplanted blank tank...I think its a mix of having a little jungle to swim around and explore and the possibility of little micros to eat on the plants...maybe even a sense of security amongst the plants helps(after all its more natural)...but i do have to be a lot more prudent with how much i feed and i also start with a half full tank gradually adding new water as they grow...temperature control can make a big difference too...a couple degrees warmer and you increase activity levels and as long as you dont jeopardise oxygen supply and water quality whilst you are also feeding possibly a little more(due to increased activity levels) then you are increasing your growth...

just something Ive noticed recently is the growth my fry I get in a tank with tons of plants and then in a tank superclean with no plants...the fry in the planted tank are doubling the size of the fry in the unplanted blank tank....

Interesting thought this. Has been discussed before regarding substrate vs bare bottom 8O . As you say though temp plays a big role too. I would be keen to see the results of a controlled test.

Interesting thought this. Has been discussed before regarding substrate vs bare bottom 8O . As you say though temp plays a big role too. I would be keen to see the results of a controlled test.

I think its more plant life rather than substrate...as I dont have any substrate just the plants....my eggs(with the goldfish) are collected on elodea and bannana lillies..I move all the plant life into a substrate free tank/tub with water from intial breeding tank..some methylene blue etc...but then I dont have the water very deep(fish have less distance to swim to get food) and am very strict with the feeding...just slowly adding fresh aged(contradiction hey! :))water and the water is staying very clear..and the fry are supersizing...as I use the spectrum fry starter(its a powder)..I also have a spray bottle and mist spray the surface to help put the food through the water fine fry food is I also think some of the fry powder gets caught on the plants like it does with a sponge filter creating little take away shops for the fry :) :)....I personally think a substrate bottom could be a bit risky as any missed food can get lost in the substrate and possibly kill fry if eaten later on(fungus infected etc)...or maybe a thin layer that is easy to clean would be fine...interesting to hear thoughts on fry growth in a bare tank and say a tank with plants and driftwood with the americans...I noticed with my dempseys and brazilis that more fry seem to "kick on" in the planted tanks ....

Had a few people give really good feedback on Aquasonic Complete Fry Starter.

FW046-2.jpg

Pulverised Shrimp, Fish, egg, vitamins and minerals that suspends in the water for those small fry.

Fish Food

I rate this stuff mate....good for a lot of different types of fry and now I know where to get it again(its not that common in stores):) :) its good stuff and you only need a few drops to get a lot of good food to the fry

I use hikari first bites, nls ?? Their fry version? And the pellets I feed their parents ... I don't have a mortar and pestle so I just crush the pellets with my manly fingers... Also have noticed the increase in growth of fry with plants:) I found sprinkling powder ontop of the water leads to a layer of stuff? Food/protein covering the surface so for fry in deeper tanks I actually push the pich of food under the surface to make it sink or put it in a jar with tank water and mix it and pour it in.

I spent the last few weeks pulling my hair out not being able to successfully hatch brine shrimp only to finally come to the conclusion the eggs don't last three years:) haha anybody want to go halves in a new tub of 100% from AOA ?

I'm using De-capsulated Brine shrimp eggs. Better than hatched baby brine shrimps as all the energy contents have not been exploited during the hatching process... basically like eating egg yolk.. haha :)

decapbbs1.jpg

They are fine as powder... dissolve them in water fully to prevent any case of indigestion on your fries...

I'm using De-capsulated Brine shrimp eggs. Better than hatched baby brine shrimps as all the energy contents have not been exploited during the hatching process... basically like eating egg yolk.. haha :)

decapbbs1.jpg

They are fine as powder... dissolve them in water fully to prevent any case of indigestion on your fries...

I haven't seen these before... Cn we get them in aus? Has anybody seen them anywhere?

Well you know those eggs that did not hatch??? Off memory if you put them in bleach or something like that it will eat away the shell...Did you throw them away? :)

Obviously you would have to use a dechlorinator or something similar. Any way there is an article out there somewhere about it will go on a search. Have not tried it but did read about or it could have been a pod cast or something.

I haven't seen these before... Cn we get them in aus? Has anybody seen them anywhere?

Heap, as The Tech Den have mentioned, you can prepare them yourself by using bleach to decal the shell, followed by many rounds of washing and drying with a anti-chlorine :)