frinkie

API Quickstart?

hey all,

This ones more for the people in aquariums/pet stores, but does anyone actually know how this product works? Patrick said thats its actually the n. bacteria in a bottle - but i'm not really sure how thats possible?

http://www.apifishcare.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=642H

It's pretty good I use it occasionally at work, looks a bit cloudier than most cycle supplements, like a white orange juice. I've had good feedback from customers too, in relation to adding fish to a new aquarium..

The active bacteria are called nitrosomonas eutropha and nitrobacter winogradskyi.

It works okay, but only if you stock your new tank lightly,

The point of quick start is to keep nitrite and ammonia levels low....

So you'll still get a reading but it will keep them at levels that aren't toxic.

5ml per 38L is pretty dumb if you ask me, another dosage fail on api's behalf.

What do people thinks better...api quick start or seachem stability??

I use seachem stability.

There's a difference though. Most people who are serious about their fish will understand that it takes atleast 5-8weeks for a tank to be fully cycled provided there is a bit of ammonia to provoke bacterial growth so that's where stability is good

But what I'm understanding about QuickStart is its for people who dont want to wait.

There's a difference though. Most people who are serious about their fish will understand that it takes atleast 5-8weeks for a tank to be fully cycled provided there is a bit of ammonia to provoke bacterial growth so that's where stability is good

But what I'm understanding about QuickStart is its for people who dont want to wait.

Yup - and those people are generally the ones that seek out their first tanks in Pet Shops. We try to do the right thing and tell them about the nitrogen cycle and the stages of their tank and correct stocking procedures. Some people are quite happy to wait and watch their tank evolve.

On the other hand shops have lots of customers who come in and its something for the family or the kids. Imagine telling your kids on Friday night they get to go to the shop tomorrow and pick out their tank and fish. Then imagine what happens when the big bad staff member tells the family that they don't recommend taking the fish home today and come back next Saturday. There are 3 things that could happen 1. They are happy to be educated in the science behind the reasoning 2. They calmly buy the tank and then go to another shop and don't tell the staff that their tank is brand new 3. There is an irate customer and a kid who is crying and they want the manager so they can have their fish today!

Yes there is a lot of black and white in those scenarios, but anyone who has worked in a shop will recognise that it mostly ends up in one of those three. So simply point, the product isn't meant to be a replacement for Stability or for Cycle, its a separate product that was developed to fill a need. We have sold heaps of it and have yet to hear anything bad about the product. However, API is careful in instructing a modicum of livestock in the beginning and has trained the shops that carry it with this advice.

Have sold a lot of it. An obscene amount of it actually. Many times to people with an API master test kit. Some of those times to people who record their test results. A few times even to people who have graphed those results.

have had no bad feed back.

I am however pretty old school in my approach to stocking the more delicate species. I want a fishless cycle. I want hard data. I want supreme confidence that you can add a $500 fish and it wont have ammonia burnt gills in a week.

API quickstart is not magic. It is though a lot faster at rushing a cycle than stability from the results I have seen. it is also saving the lives of a lot of fish belonging to impatient people. This is a good thing for the hobby. but for best results, as mentioned many times already, you need to stock slowly AND you should still understand the nitrate cycle.

Its boring, it sounds complicated and it takes patience.

but

its worth it.

Anyway bio engineering and bio prospecting

its getting better and better

and we can expect to see the new bacteria products reflecting that.

Quickstart is a good sign. I look forward to seeing what we have available in a decade!

crazy-fish-stare_o_494899.gif

Edited by DeadFishFloating

I supposed I would much rather sell Quickstart to a customer than nothing at all.. the customers with the children who cry in front of you when you tell them they shouldn't add fish until the tank is cycled.. neither the mom nor the child want to learn about the nitrogen cycle no matter how hard you try to explain it in easy terms...

I say to them that I will only sell them a maximum of one fish if they purchase Quickstart... some people like dogs and cats but I like fish and I do feel a little guilty sending a fish home to someone I know won't look after them in the most basic of ways.

Hand them a handout on the nitrogen cycle, inform them that you wont give the fish a garantee if they purchase it now, sell them some quickstart and send them on their way.

Ya do what you can, but some days its best to avoid giving people a reason to wait around in the carpark to ask you why you had to go make little Johny cry.

Sure 3 goldfish for that betta bowl in your hand

why not

would you like some some dechlorinator with that?