cram

How do you seal your PVC bulkheads?

ok - I have a heap of PVC fittings - the ones that screw into each other and can be used as bulkheads instead of the black wizzbang nylex ones.

just wondering how you seal them - rubber seal like the black nylex fittings (if so, where do you get them?), silicon, cominbination of the two or something else?

Also, I've noticed that the thread is pretty loose - just plumbers tape in this or silicon too?

just wondering how you seal them - rubber seal like the black nylex fittings (if so, where do you get them?), silicon, cominbination of the two or something else?

Also, I've noticed that the thread is pretty loose - just plumbers tape in this or silicon too?

if your talking 25mm pvc pipe, i got mine from bunnings, i found them in the same isle as the pvc fittings, but on the other side, they are seals for dunnies, :) i got a 10 pack for a few $$$$$, just grab the pvc fitting and try them until you get one close, and then use silican to seal them when fitting them on, works great and i find they are as good as the black bulk heads,

yes i used thread tape / plumers tape on mine,

i use both bulk heads and pvc fittings, i don't think one is better then the other, they both work,

i'm happy to show you how mine are set up if you want to come have a look, i'm planing on changing some of mine today, taking 19mm polly pipe off and replacing it with 25mm pvc down pipes, to get more flow, :)

I once bought a used rack that used PVC conduit rather than poly bulkheads.

When I rebuilt the system I used the same method of sealing as the original constructor; a bead of incurred silicone on each side of the glass, then simply screw the fittings in tight and leave to cure.

PVC is not what I would recommend, but if you already have the fittings they will work, and save you some money.

thanks all posting - I've seen a lot of people using them - I've also seen some leak...

But I have them already - and need 15 of them so thats $105 in bulkheads ($7 each @ wetearth + delivery)

also - a male and female pvc fitting = only $2.20 if I had to get them.

advantages also are you can screw straight into a 90o bend or T - so saves some room behind the rack and a few less pieces to buy.

just need to seal them but looks like its not an issue.

I think I'm sold!

I had 9 tanks running off these fittings. I did have one that persisted to leak. I simply painted the area with silicone and that solved the issue. It looked very tacky, but then again it was hidden behind the rack and unless you were inspecting my plumbing you would never see it.

Hi Cram

Personally I would spend whats needed the first time rather than trying to save a few bucks up front and then have to fix problems once you have fish in the tank.........just my opinion.

I have to agree with garman. There is normally more than 1 way to do a job but there is normally only 1 way to do it right.

Pvc fittings, unless there is something I haven't seen with a flange, will only have a narrow bite on the glass whereas a bulkhead has a good bite and seal. I would imagine that a solid bump on a PVC fitting could easily twist the pipe and possibly break the glass where the bulkhead fitting spreads the impact over a large area. For the sake of $150.00 I would have to recommend bulkheads. Do it right and forget about it.