samo

Maintaining a low ph. Any pointers?

Hey guys, I should be picking up some new fish this week that need a ph in the low 5s. I was thinking wood chips over a neutral sand substrate with IAL on top and peat in the filter. Not sure whether this will push the ph low enough but even if it's steady in the high 5s I think it'll be ok.

Anyone got any pointers?

Water softeners like mentioned above are not always a great option, do some research on ion exchange in regard to water softening. Considering rain may not be an option as we haven't had much at all lately, look into RO water. you can buy it from vending machines at larger shopping complexes and certain servo's etc. Or you can buy RO units that connect to your tap. As mentioned above, rain water is the best/cheapest method.

Ozmo only problem with that is it will remove all the tannis from the water an the tank is for dwarf south Americans. Looks like I'm on a hunt for rain water

Ok. I didn't realise you were doing apistos.

Maybe Blackwater conditioner might help.

Hi Samo,

I got your PM. You would be best with some Peat. I have some laying around here, and also 330 odd IAL leaves. The price of the IAL is 35 bucks and can give you some peat too. That would be a good place to get you going for your low pH. The adoketas were my friend's not mine. I just took his photos for him, although he did get a few spawns out of them. I am sure he may jump on here and give some pointers on how to get them to spawn, or he may not.