Hey Lachie...as i already sent you a PM earlier about the ryukin not feeding...and they are now feeding...no probs....now look after them right and get ready for baby ryukins :)

Mats hit it on the head pretty good so not much to say :)....but dont overfeed...bloodworms for extra headgrowth in youngstas and like I recommended for the ryukins..its something that gets them going again..tubifex worms are good for really young fry to strengthen the back..once again dont overfeed...small and often is better than lots and occasionally....regular peas keeps them regular :) and hikari lion head once older...if pretty young I also recommend the spectrum grow pellets by new life but dont overfeed this as its a bit more concentrated than regular feeds....as to what your looking for in grooming...baby rukins(as in 1st stage after fry)will show the "hump" but it will be minor and nowhere near as big as it becomes in adult stage...if its too apparent early...your fish will likely be stunted...it has to grow with the fish(hope this makes sense!)..I also only accept fish with full tail splits..you can keep the other guys but I dont class them as top quality....the chu da I would recommend keeping like an oranda...or as a bit more of a capable swimming ranchu....as its essentially a ranchu with a dorsal fin...for him Id recommend the bloodworm and new life grow while hes still small...peas...pretty much the same diet Id recommend for ranchu and oranda...the new life grow has become my new "babies" pellet as its smaller than hikari lionhead and higher in protein content with some good extras in there so really boosts the growth of young guys....I feed a little bit about 4 times a day while young...a pea or 2 for each young guy at the end of the day and bloodworms every couple of days...once older look at going towards the hikari lionhead and keep the peas and bloodworms going for variety(definitely the peas as it aids digestion)...duckweed is an excellent food source to have around at all times if possible for free feeds that fish can have at anytime and also helps keeps them more regular...older ryukin look at the hikari goldfish staple pellets or top quality koi pellets(sometimes much cheaper in bulk and excellent for bringing out colour) and also I use hikari wheat pellets for any fish with white and during the colder months as its quickly and easily digested...this product also aims at bringing out the white colour and my experiences have been good..thumbs up!...once again still feed peas and if you like bloodworms but for ryukins its more of a treat as you are not aiming for headgrowth...Oranda are like a mix of feeding ryukins and ranchu as they are more capable swimmers like the ryukins and can eat more of a pellet variety but also have the headgrowth to "nurture"...the hikari oranda pellets are good...as are the top quality koi pellets...I dont feed them this as much as the ryukins though as I aim also to get the headgrowth going so they can have a little more bloodworm and as mentioned the hikari oranda pellets......these aim at both basic diet and at increasing headgrowth similar to the hikari lionhead range....any questions mate..let me know and I will see if I can help :)

Edited by goldenswimmers

sorry lachie just on the tubifex worm...this is mainly used for really young ranchu as you want a thick strong back to promote growth in future and to keep the "curve" nice and thick on the fish...it can mean the difference between a good sized ranchu and a stunted ranchu...so I recommend this as part of the diet for ranchu straight out of fry school :)

Thanks for the info Brent.

You should see the ryukin pond!! well you cannot see the ryukins cause it is full of green water and they seem to be loving it, i can only see them when they come and eat the food! they also demolished my duckweed. They like seeking for it inbetween the azolla.

Thanks for the info Brent.

You should see the ryukin pond!! well you cannot see the ryukins cause it is full of green water and they seem to be loving it, i can only see them when they come and eat the food! they also demolished my duckweed. They like seeking for it inbetween the azolla.

:) nice & still make sure you do some water changes as you dont want oxygen levels jeopardised...and it will still stay green as the little organisms multiply..:).this green water is top grade fry food too :) and duckweed all day long..cant go wrong :)

Hey Lachie...as i already sent you a PM earlier about the ryukin not feeding...and they are now feeding...no probs....now look after them right and get ready for baby ryukins :)

Mats hit it on the head pretty good so not much to say :)....but dont overfeed...bloodworms for extra headgrowth in youngstas and like I recommended for the ryukins..its something that gets them going again..tubifex worms are good for really young fry to strengthen the back..once again dont overfeed...small and often is better than lots and occasionally....regular peas keeps them regular :) and hikari lion head once older...if pretty young I also recommend the spectrum grow pellets by new life but dont overfeed this as its a bit more concentrated than regular feeds....as to what your looking for in grooming...baby rukins(as in 1st stage after fry)will show the "hump" but it will be minor and nowhere near as big as it becomes in adult stage...if its too apparent early...your fish will likely be stunted...it has to grow with the fish(hope this makes sense!)..I also only accept fish with full tail splits..you can keep the other guys but I dont class them as top quality....the chu da I would recommend keeping like an oranda...or as a bit more of a capable swimming ranchu....as its essentially a ranchu with a dorsal fin...for him Id recommend the bloodworm and new life grow while hes still small...peas...pretty much the same diet Id recommend for ranchu and oranda...the new life grow has become my new "babies" pellet as its smaller than hikari lionhead and higher in protein content with some good extras in there so really boosts the growth of young guys....I feed a little bit about 4 times a day while young...a pea or 2 for each young guy at the end of the day and bloodworms every couple of days...once older look at going towards the hikari lionhead and keep the peas and bloodworms going for variety(definitely the peas as it aids digestion)...duckweed is an excellent food source to have around at all times if possible for free feeds that fish can have at anytime and also helps keeps them more regular...older ryukin look at the hikari goldfish staple pellets or top quality koi pellets(sometimes much cheaper in bulk and excellent for bringing out colour) and also I use hikari wheat pellets for any fish with white and during the colder months as its quickly and easily digested...this product also aims at bringing out the white colour and my experiences have been good..thumbs up!...once again still feed peas and if you like bloodworms but for ryukins its more of a treat as you are not aiming for headgrowth...Oranda are like a mix of feeding ryukins and ranchu as they are more capable swimmers like the ryukins and can eat more of a pellet variety but also have the headgrowth to "nurture"...the hikari oranda pellets are good...as are the top quality koi pellets...I dont feed them this as much as the ryukins though as I aim also to get the headgrowth going so they can have a little more bloodworm and as mentioned the hikari oranda pellets......these aim at both basic diet and at increasing headgrowth similar to the hikari lionhead range....any questions mate..let me know and I will see if I can help :)

woah! brain dump! score!

srsly man, how many yrs gaining experience did you just save me then? a few I reckon.

awesome info man, thanks for taking the time to share hey.

Edited by kasman