THX1138

Liquid Fertilizer vs Solid or Tablet Fertilizer

I've been reading alot about plated aquarium ferts but am now wondering if it's simpler to use tablets or spikes directly around the roots of the plants. More cost effective? Could there be other problems arising from using these (assuming it's a comprehensive mix)? Advice most appreciated.

Different plants absorb nutrients in different ways. Some root plants such Amazon Sword Plants absorb more nutrients from within the substrate, hence root tabs and/or nutrient rich plant substrates. Other plants, such as Anubias or Java fern absorb nutrients from the water column.

Different plants absorb nutrients in different ways. Some root plants such Amazon Sword Plants absorb more nutrients from within the substrate, hence root tabs and/or nutrient rich plant substrates. Other plants, such as Anubias or Java fern absorb nutrients from the water column.

Well said :) Briztoon said it perfectly. Dino Dung works wonders and a good liquid fertilisation together should be what you are chasing. What type of plants are you wanting to keep?

aquamaster - plant food 500ml cost me $15 5ml for 50L weekly is the dosing guide but depending on the tank volume, plant density and plant type you will need to dose according. If you start getting algae blooms than too much. Appart from 2 swords the rest are Anubias and java fern species. I dose my 500L tank monthly as my plants are established and looking healthy.