webmaster

What do you think?

Hybrids- What do you think?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Hybrids- What do you think?

• NO Keep the hybrid section in the "naughty corner"
    • YES the hybrid section should be in the view of the general forum

Hybrid poll- What do you think?

After much debate, questions and requests both from members and the moderating team we are considering making some changes to the Hybrid section.

Since the strong dislike for Hybrids amongst forum users in the past we have had the hybrid section tucked away, hidden in an ‘opt in’ section of the forum thus keeping it out of the sight of the general public and in fact most forum users.

We believe now that there may be value in bringing it out of the closet and giving it a name change as we open the section to the public. We wish to allow for education on what is and isn’t acceptable practice with in the hobby concerning hybrid species. This does not mean that just any fish any crossed will be allowed. This section will be designed for professional hybrids only and in no way will this section encourage anyone to try making their own hybrid species. QLDAF will still not permit accidental aquarium breeding but it is hoped that we can help with education about what goes into producing a professional hybrid and educate the general public that, in no way is ok to crossbreed any old fish or to sell accidental aquarium breeds.

Besides the obvious and controversial hybrids there are many recognized and accepted Hybrid species which include many live bearers, Angel Fish, Discus, many Bettas and lots of species of Goldfish to name a few. We do not intend to move any of these to the hybrid section and we do not expect that every forum member will frequent the Hybrid section but wish to give a place to those passionate about their more controversial fish which fit into this category.

We are considering changing the name from 'Hybrid Section' to 'Flowerhorns, Blood Parrots and Red Texas', (and bringing Matt out of the closet)

To do this we will take a poll of the members and go with majority view.

By voting yes for the hybrids, you will be voting 'yes' for the professional hybrids. You will not be voting 'yes' for the aquarium accident hybrid.

This is not just a poll but we would like to hear your questions and also your opinions so post them. You do not have to like someone's opinion and in DFF words "opinions are like armpits - everyone has them and some of them stink" but everyone here is entitled to voice theirs and you are entitled to voice yours.

Remember when you post you are not permitted to belittle, bully or attack anyone which applies to everyone, on all posts, messages and PM's on QLDAF.

So post your thoughts and tell us if you think we should….

* NO keep the hybrid section in the naughty corner

* YES the hybrid section should be in the view of the general forum

Hybrids are here and there not going anywhere soon. May aswell bring it out of the naughty corner and educate people on them. Then they have the choice of either keeping hybrids or not. Whats going to happen with bettas, ob peacocks etc in terms of sales? Will they still be aloud in the normal section or will they only be aloud in the hybrid section.

But I'm guessing that your going to allow them in the normal section since your changing the section name to flowerhorn BP red texas.

Thats my 2c worth. Note that I hate hybrids but it should be aloud so everyone can see them, to make there own choice.

Cheers zac

With education YES.

Just bringing it out without any kind of education or sticky or anything like that then NO.

Aus is separated from the world...We need to keep what we have and not let it go down.

I'm not against Hybrids, i have kept them numerous times, there is just a way to go about certain things...

Seph

I hate, I hate, I hate Blood Parrots. But some people like the ugly little feckers. I hate the practices that created the Flowerhorn, even though some of the kokless Flowerhorn variants are rather attractive.

But I like fancy Bettas, so I'm going to take my little black, pot shaped @rse and go sit in the corner and sing "I can't see you" to myself.

er, yeah bring 'em out of the closet.

If they are cichlids, put them in cichlids etc etc.

I don't keep hybrids, and don't really like the look of some of them, bit some are nice (I guess).

But, overall I don't think its any different to developing/selective breeding any other fish (pure species/strain or not).

We should focus on care of fish and promoting good fish keeping - not passing judgement on the types of fish people like and keep.

I personally vote no as if you truly like a certain sp ,why would you want to change it? ,but on the other hand there are many sp on here that are hybrids but are more acceptable and get to be sold in the normal sales thread ,so really its 6 one /half dozen the other.

And here I am armed with Popcorn and drinks...

Either the old school purists are yet to see this thread or they have pulled head from "sand" and realized that ignorance doesn't help anyone....

Personally, I wouldn't mind if the hybrid trader stayed under the hybrid section.... Is that how you were looking at doing it?

Personally the old school purist is very important to the hobby and its good to see the vastness and growth of the hobby and there is enough room for all to enjoy. A lot of it will also come down to having a healthy respect for each other even if you do not agree with it. You have to give the purists credit and respect for keeping good fish going and also respect for the dedicated Hybrid keeper and the work involved. Both produce great fish with different methodology and there are a few things they both have in common. They cull the rubbish and keep the good and they are tireless in their efforts.

If you do not like something you always have the choice of not reading it and that choice is important but should it be hidden, I guess the members will decide.

I like what has come about in the short term with Russ at the helm and look forward to many more good things.

And here I am armed with Popcorn and drinks...

Either the old school purists are yet to see this thread or they have pulled head from "sand" and realized that ignorance doesn't help anyone....

Personally, I wouldn't mind if the hybrid trader stayed under the hybrid section.... Is that how you were looking at doing it?

I dont really think its about pulling their heads out of the sand its more a case of keeping the fish they enjoy as close as possible to how their true genes are and not wanting to loose a pure strain into the future(conservation).There would be far less fish id threads if this were the case ,but by all means each to their own.

The poll will end in a yes vote, in a large part because that's where the opening diatribe is telling people to go..

It is fair enough to think that but here is your opportunity to say why you think it should not. (I take it you do not like the idea)

If you do not think that it should be put forward, state the reasons you think it should not. It is important to get both sides as people will read what you write and they can make a informed decision which goes for anyone. Your input is wanted.

It would be good to hear your thoughts.

I dont think its fair to punish keepers of platys, swordtails and mollys.

So I say let people with hybrids post in the normal part of the forum.

You can have a hybrid section

but

most people who have hybrids dont even know they are hybrids.

ya cant just punish the obvious flowerhorn and parrot keepers

even if they do deserve..... and even like it.

I dont like the fact the hybrid section is hidden

I would feel better if there was a hidden hybrid arguement section

where people could go to ***** about hybrids

I have been on fish forums, newsgroups and part of clubs for many years now

and I tire of the same circular debates.

The PET fish industry

is by a large %

reliant on brightly coloured

hybrids.

They are bread and butter species

and not going anywhere.

Hide them away

or refuse them a place

and you turn away many

for a lfs it costs them customers

for a forum it costs them members.

I'll vote no, because there are too many muddy areas and potholes for inexperienced keepers to fall into. A clear hybrid monstrosity like a blood parrot is one thing, but when your selling something like say, a jagxcuban, the buyer may forget its a hybrid over time, or realise Cubans are worth more than mongrels and pass it off as pure. It may be auctioned off and accidentally, or not, sold as pure. If the jagxcubans then breed, the f2 fish can look like either pure species, or a mix, end up in an lfs,and it may be impossible for a few generations to tell that they're a hybrid, until one day some poor sap breeds his amazing Cuban pair and ends up with infertile eggs, a batch of weird looking mong jags, etc etc. it's hard to find pure fish in this country already, so I'll always go with the anti hybrid stance.