steven_b

Clown Loaches De-Scaling My Convict

I have, two days ago added three young Clown Loaches to my aquarium.

They seem to be coming up along side my convict and 'over-cleaning him' so to speak.

It is strange that he even lets them get close considering how much he rules the 500lt tank containing also 5 Red Rainbows, a Bristlenose, a Pakistani Loach & a Geophagus Rio Pindaré. This evening I notice the Convict Hiding and one side of him with a white scaleless patch. Can anybody help?

Sorry mate , I've never seen that happen? Are you feeding the loaches? Are you sure it was only the loaches going near him? It's got me stumped , but it's been a few years since I had Most of those fish..

Make sure you keep the water vey clean to help prevent any infection for your injured convict.

Oh and i see its your first post! Welcome to qldaf:)

Thanks for getting back Matmatmat.

Thanks for the welcome! I'm currently only putting New Life Grow 0.5mm food into the tank once or twice a day.

Should I be feeding the loaches something different?

The tank is only four weeks old the fish have been in for a week and half maybe.

Water is a little high in pH, a slightly cloudy, though I have a piece of Goldvine in there also.

I'm sure no expert on loaches! Maybe someone else may have better info? Maybe because it's a new tank there is something the loaches normally eat that isn't there? You can definatly get specific food for them:) I really never saw any aggression from mine ? But have heard stories.. I have also heard higher nitrates does not help with aggression so it being a new tank that could be a caus? Sorry mate I'm kinda thinking out loud;)

Maybe the convict just said something to offend them:)

i have loaches with convicts and other types, i found the paki was bad for sucking the slim coat from the angels and discus, but never had that trouble with convicts,

but that said, both clown and pakis can and do suck the slim coat, i'd remove the convict or loach until he has healed and try again,

also try some sinking pellets for loaches, that might help, any type will be ok, mine love carnivorous pellets for loaches,

Thanks for your advice all. I think the slim coat thing is the issue. Thanks Rooster94 & steveandjules!

He seemed ok and holding his ground this morning, though my partner says he's gone into his cave and the loaches are hanging around the front.

She's going to pull him out now. Fingers crossed, would hate to think those bloody loaches kill him. He's a beauty!

Thanks for the tip DeadFishFloating... remember when buying the fish he/she was in a tank solo. The other Convicts in the store could have attached him.

The Clown Loaches have now been removed (after 2hours of chasing), and he is on the mend. Looking much happier.

I think I'll reframe from getting the Texas I've been looking at this weekend.