gyung

Multi coloured fry from my chocolate cherries woo!!!

hey guys bought some chocolate shrimps a while ago and the seller....well you know who ;) it is told me they produce all sorts. and they truly did!!! i ended up setting up a few more tanks and i am planning to separate into specific coloured tanks to see if their colours stay or go back to brown. so far all the reds have stayed but i only just started taking out the blues and blacks

check it out!

i took a video clip

some Blues, some browns, some winish red cherries (not totally red i think? or are my eyes fooling me) and even a Black one!!!

IMG_3993.jpg

IMG_3995.jpg

Redish wine looking shrimp? or just pure red? not sure. opinions VERY VERY WELCOMED

IMG_3968.jpg

thanks mat. yeah it is isn't it? it's like looking into a candy shop all the time! and now to seperate the blue candy from the chocolate candy and the black candy and the red candy lol.

the next mission is to seperate the blue ones into another tank and see if they stay true. the original breeder told me that the blues don't seem to hold their colour so i will be taking extreme care with the blues and put them in an observation tank.

i'd have to say the black are amazing. very very few of them. majority are brown and red followed by blue then black

Very nice, just out of interest check your shrimp at night after the lights have been off for a while, a lot of my usually red by day cherry shrimp turn blue over night and once the lights come back on agian the next day they turn red again. I tried catching a couple of the blue females and keeping them in a breeding trap for the day to see if/ when they changed back to red, but the sneaky little so and so's escaped and hid back in the wilds of the 4ft tank again.

haha just tell the wives that you're not buying one shrimp...it's four for the price of one!!! they always love sales don't they? ;)

baccas - wow i have never done that! i'll have a go and see what happens

daydream - absolutely :)

An example of how mine go blue

P1060466.jpg

P1060463.jpg

A bit blurred I know but the blue ones are really skittish and scuttle back into dark hidden areas of the tank quickly, I would dearly love to know if they do stay blue all day and are just hiding or if they do go totally red again.

If choclate cherry's do through so many colours, I would love to get some just to experiment with the colours, a black cherry would be amazing to see.

P1060624.jpg

here you go baccus. started taking out the blacks last night. and took a photo of a black male. seems black to me. either way it's very dark for a male!

null.jpg

but what are your thoughts on this first generation girl?!? she just berried in the original tank! (i have to take her out immediately after she releases) is she super blue? or low quality black?!?

null-1.jpg

Awe WOW, I love the black male, the real trick will be to photograph him with a flash the with camera set on macro, I find that shows up all sorts of interesting patterns that you where missing with the naked eye.

As for the female....stunning, in that light she actually looks super blue, or at least seems to have blue tints near her front legs. As soon as she has this babies I would be putting her with your black male, who knows maybe you could get a peacock effect with black base colour and blue sort of highlights.

I know if I saw these guys for sale I would have a hard time resisting them. But who knows what might eventuate with my darkest red cherry's some of those girls are getting black lines and patches on them mixed with their dark red.

P1070132.jpg

P1070123.jpg

These pictures don't quite show off the black areas that are now occuring on these girls but gives you a bit of an idea, and I figure the black gene had to start somewhere.

Thanks, her colour is what I have been striving for, I have quite a few of this deep red, not really sure what colour you would call her because she really is as dark as she appears in the photo and glossy can't forget the incredible shine on her.

Looking fowards to seeing more colours as your shrimp develop and breed.

hmmm......it's not exactly a fire red but i have heard of a blood red quality? might have to look this up more online...

i'll see if i can get more pics. will definately update you guys on the blue ones if they turn back to brown when they are adults

Cherry shrimp also appear to be a bit chameleon like in that they will drop colour according to mood and environment, so I would be sorely tempted to put the blues into various tanks with different lighting levels and substrate colour just to see if they will hold true to their colour or change as they see fit. I know everyone says to really make cherry shrimp take on darker colours you need to have them on dark substrate but mine are in with black neonm tetras (full grown), golden tetras (sort of neon sized), endlers, breeding pair of bristle noses, sterbia corys, Pakastani loaches and dwarf chain loaches with a white sand substrate, so you would think if anything was going to make these shrimp pale or washed out these tank mates would do it. But as you can see from my blood red female they are super dark.

I have quite a few females like her, in fact its getting hard when ever I remove a few to decide which ones I am happy to sell and which I would prefer to continue breeding from. Some of my males are really hard to sex when young, but I think most of my males are still the usual cherry shrimp patterns with the red bars down thier backs.

Like this

P1070147.jpg

AndP1060401.jpg these boys with the girls

Not quite a black cherry shrimp in your league but pretty close I think

P1070238.jpg

P1070237.jpg

P1070237.jpg

Now the question is what colour do you call her?

Forgot to add she has white under her rostrum which you might be able to make out in the pictures

Edited by Baccus
forgot a sentence

Ooooo so tempting, the only spare tank I have is a 20L that's not set up at all just sitting empty or my female fighter tank that the last time I had cherry shrimp in the shrimp all decided it was nicer living in the filter of.

Thank you for the very kind offer, I will have to have a think and possible re-arrange of other tanks to set up another tank if I did get a black male off you.