DeBree420

starting over... suggestions?

I have an 8x(almost)3x(almost)3 and a 6x2x2 that I am starting from scratch again, no Africans...any suggestions on what I should keep? I want to do plants however I think it will be too expensive in the 8 because of how deep/how bright lighting will need to be. I want to keep power usage to a minimum...

Any ideas?

I don't usually bother stressing about ph/ hardness etc anyway, i usually just set the tank up to buffer one way or another and do regular changes... I don't plan on keeping discus or Africans or probably anything that needs lots of messing around with as I just don't have the time

Always like the odd fish. Archer fish would be cool too, upside down catfish, splashing tetra's (think they are here) cuckoo cats nice in a school. You could not have all of them in the tank at once but just a few idea's for something different. Have a look how splashing Tetra's Breed - now that is different....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAwhxxaKgaM&feature=player_detailpage

I say red tail giant gourami x2 in the 8x3x3 you have the tank great filtration and they are kiddy magnets when they get big! my 3 year old loves mine! she gives her kisses, very interactive fish and pretty hardy aswell! by the way thanks heaps for the fish they got home safe and sound! take care mate

8 ft - sooties/cod/

6 ft - raise half the tank with (1/2 1ft deep, 1/2 2ft deep) and then stock the raised half with val or something simillar. make water flow from shallow to deep end (as per a creek) and then stick with some rainbows, shrimp, native gudgeons.

Lol... I miss Mr chodus :( he was awesome...

no chance of fire eels hey? :(

I really want RTC but I don't think the eight foot is big enough long term... megalodorus *drools*

I don't need anything to feed them to... we can just smear them on the concrete and fertilize the lawn with them right? :P I was thinking tiny schools in plants, or just a couple of African butterflies (just remember the lids dammit)

If you want to keep bills down etc I would be avoiding anything not native or coldwater due to heating already being an extra cost...Id go a native biotype with a mangrove root/estuary look to the 8 x 3...nice size so chuck in a bit of a monster...how about a jack...or a saratoga...and making a biotype like an aussie estuary/up north river etc will look cool...balance it out nicely with some smaller guys and get that "community" vibe happening keeping it as self sufficient as possible i reckon but obviously revolving around the big guy...some hidey holes/safe areas amongst the roots etc for the little guys to thrive but still some free feed for the big guy on the weak links :)...Id then go green thumb on the 6x2 which is still a nice size and then look at small fish communities suited to coldwater...but remember all those plants wont prune n clip themselves so thats a bunch of maintenance again...might want to do another native biotype and look at snakehead gudgeons(only cause I like em :))...or then look at heating and going down this path...or....and then...and you could...ha ha..your options are almost endless and you have nice sized tanks so its an aqua party :) :)

what.... cold water and no goldfish........

have to change your name now :)

not much in the way of "biotypes" for goldfish :)...its an acquired taste ha ha :)...or yeah DeBree420.;)....you could go a nice big goldfish tank..with lots of smooth rock work and pond plants(bannana lillies look cool when big with the roots running from top to bottom....and Ive always wanted to do a big tank with nice clean green algae or moss walls on 3 sides leaving the front panel like a window into a pond.... and then some big male display goldies...orandas are probably my fave for this...just a couple of nice big guys though so the wastage isnt a factor...

Edited by goldenswimmers

Hmmm... all wonderful ideas guys... I guess i don't mind about the cost if it will be for the right thing. The eight is great for heaters as being such a large body of water, it holds the heat. they just about never have to turn on... I'm still undecided about if I should do plants in the eight or six... the six is still two high and I'm not a big person,so it would almost be easier to do it in the eight because I can actually get in that tank quite comfortably...arrgh I really don't know... keep the ideas flowing guys!

I have seen some mega cool planted tanks, with goldfish. Selection is the key with both the fish and the plants. Fancies are less destructive, and some plants just don't taste good.

I know you said no africans, BUT Lake Tanganyika is so cool you gotta gotta gotta consider it. Cyprichromis school, shelly coloniy, rock work for a host of other species, so many shapes. I understand dodging the other dodgy lakes............

Find some balzani and breed some in the tank with the uara. Seriously so mamy options around these Uura. I like some of the simple stuff you could use. Geos, festivum, angels. South America is cool.

Chocolate cichlids, cause everyone deserves chocolates......

NO AFRICANS... lol, if DFF couldn't get me into them in the many many years of us being friends, I doubt anyone else has a chance... I've kept them a bunch of times and after the initial tank set up I loose interest almost instantly, even with my shellies and cuckoo cats which I did quite like. (Actually I may partially blame DFF for my apathy of rift lake fish)

Also I've never been really into geophagus... although I am partial to the micro kinds... I'm a bit of a weirdo really

I just want a vieja argentea dammit, why is that so hard? Lol

I'm leaning toward doing the eight as plants because I like to get in my tanks to play around if there is lots of fiddly stuff involved... its fun, but o would have to heat it cos I don't wanna swim in it cold :/

PS... just bugged the man about power constraints and he no longer cares as long as I only have the three tanks running! Yay!

So now I'm thinking my single 150w halide on one side and t5s on the other... wonder how deep the halide would reach as I do have a soft spot for nano plants (ESP the hardy lilaeopsis)

Edited by DeBree420
adding on

Amigo.

I do believe I have found you some rather suave plants.

Tall too.

Whether you go the 8 or the 6.

I have been offered payback for a favor I did in the form of plants from a display.

So can likely get you a background that will impress!

But we would have to go get them........ and that would involve using the road they put thru my house.

*******s

"The eight is great for heaters as being such a large body of water, it holds the heat. they just about never have to turn on"

Not sure that you realise it takes a fair bit of power to get the tank to the required heat, if not to keep it there, so saying that it's easier to heat it is quite the contradiction.

You don't have to agree just take it up with Newton/Einstein.

8O

Yeah I get that,They turn on a lot more when the lids are off, but comparatively to my other sized tanks the heaters are on much less often. That's just my observations though, I have had it running for a couple of years now :)

For sure mission... hard with conflicting days though :/