So I thought I might post an update on the breeding of these guys.

After a month away I came back and the tank with these apistos in it was completely overgrown with algae. Mum was looking after another batch of wrigglers and since she had eaten the last 5 batches I decide I would remove her and dad and let nature do it's thing.

The fry have been living in the 60ltr tank with copious amounts of algae and surely infusoria for 2 weeks (I also moved house in this time) and they are doing well. It's hard to see how many are still alive, but I would guess 20 - 30. I still have not fed them yet, but I think they are now big enough that I will start feed BBS soon.

Here is the pic of the tank after a little bit of a clean.

post-6226-14711627634717_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aquatic Paradise

with apisto fry you can feed BBS once they are free swimming. they will do better and grow faster that just scavenging on what is in the tank. 1-2 weeks after they are free swimming I usually start to add some finely crushed flake as well. this gets them used to dry foods and makes the later transition to flakes/pellets quite easy in my experience.

to help prevent the mother eating the fry, add a lot more cover in the tank. they usually eat fry only when they don't feel safe enough.