blade87

just curious??????

Perhaps its best if you frame you question this way.......

Any suggestions for marine fish that will do well without a chiller? I have a *X*X* size tank. And I would like to have X amount of them in there.

Always happy to help mate....... buuuuuuuuut you need to narrow it down from a bazillion trillion possibilitys, to say a mere few thousand.

Somebody-Broke-My-FireflyjpgpagespeedceADVgExzn4v.jpg

I used to keep a black volitans and a red volitans, they're amazing fish to keep. I caught them all in water several meters deep, I would go taller than 18" if possible, I've never seen them in water that shallow. I didn't have a chiller, in saying that though, if I were to keep them again I would have a chiller, I always lost fish over summer.

Summer is a pain with out temp control, all substances in the marine aquarium and there are lot of them!!!become more toxic and affects oxygen and PH as the temps go up and this as does many other things,brings on the biggest killer of marine aquarium fish.

Have a read.

Stress related damage to marine fish by adrenalin-cortisol.

The lion fish in the wild are where the water is at its calmest normally, inside reefs they are shallowish and open ocean reefs, deeper!

We see the zebra in some times 3 feet of water and the volitans and lunula not much deeper on sheltered sides of reefs and islands.

With out extreme algae control, as in a lot of it some where in your waters, you should use a little skimmer, its not a must with just fish because they don’t produce much pee-protein out put, its crustaceans that are the big pee producers and enough bio surface area will make the skimmer not overly needed for just fish.

If you can get some algae growing in the tank here and there will help, just be prepared for some work to control it, you see protein skimmers do not take out inorganic phosphates or much of your naturally forming toxins. algae will!!

Fish don’t worry greatly with phosphates, its your photosynthetic life forms that will mutate or starve or die from exposure to phosphates and other toxins that build in your waters that tests do not show.

If you do put in a skimmer, it should be at the end of your system to protect the pumps impellor, the substances that it may take out don’t permeate the live rock that fast if it’s near the last part of your sump.

Have it maybe next to the return pump if you like and defuse the bubbles or the return pump will chop them up into micro bubbles and these will kill inverts after a while and they stress fish with them entering the gill area.

Oh ok sweet well we went to pet city today and they have some great deals on full setups with chillers so will probs get one at the end of the month and probably opt for dwarf lion fish so we can have other fish in the tank also I'm pretty excited

Oh ok sweet well we went to pet city today and they have some great deals on full setups with chillers so will probs get one at the end of the month and probably opt for dwarf lion fish so we can have other fish in the tank also I'm pretty excited

May take a while to Acclimatise th FH's to marine, but I think it will be worth the effort:)

Im thinking of going the big guys so maybe a 6x2(or 3 wide)x2 with some volitans and might avoid the skimmer if its not compulsory(and can add later on if needed) but go heavy on the live rock and go a chiller :) :)

If you have a sump you can use the surface area there in many ways if designed right for most bio filtering.

Its more stable and affective if kept clean then live rock at housing your bio community and then rely on the live rock in the tank as its support and as swim throughs and hiding spots for the fish and possibly mobile inverts.

If you pre filter your waters leaving the aquarium at a high level, the sump bio area will remain far cleaner and more affective then the live will rock ever will.

Sumps give you so much flexability and potential for change and improving your water quality and has nothing to do with whats in your tank.