clarkey

Daughter got the Betta bug

Hi All,

My daughter has fallen in love with Bettas and wants to keep and breed them. As I know nothing about them (catfish and rainbow fish for me) I thought I'd see if I could find out some information for her before we get too far into it.

What is a good way to set up the system? ie tank sizes for keeping as well as breeding? I thought a rack system so she can keep the breeders as well as the grow out tanks all on the one rack.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by clarkey

breeding bettas takes alot of time and patience, what u need to start off with is 2 tank to keep the male and the female separated until the male has blown a huge nest of bubbles and also when the female is also fat and ready to breed. most people use IAL or a foam cup cut in half longs ways for the male betta so they can blow his nest near and around it. once they both look like they are ready put the female in with the male and if the males start nipping the female its ok but if it looks like his is trying to kill her then take her out as the male isnt ready to breed just yet.

temp must be kept at 26-28degrees

food before breeding them feed them live food

before i start setting up a breeding setup for the bettas i think u should do some reserach into betta breeding as it can cost alot of money before they start shooting out with there first batch of babies

ive tried to breed them once but life became busier for me so i gave it up

How old is your daughter? I can see you getting stuck with the hard work haha.

Breeding bettas is it's own unique challenge. Aside from the spawning incident itself, you need to be prepared to house up to hundreds of baby bettas individually. Think about how many you realistically can raise, water change, feed etc. You can always cull heavily and raise a select few, but just wondering how old your daughter is and how she would react to this. 20-30 pairs couldn't be bred by just two people. 1-3 spawns at a time is all I think I could handle. I remember doing individual water changes daily on 300+ baby male bettas. Not an easy task! It takes up allot of space to. Best to do it in summer when you do not need to heat hundreds of babies.

But if you are really keen and have the time to put into it go for it. Just do a bunch of research and know what you are getting into first. The breeding is the easier part, raising is when it gets hard. Don't expect it to be profitable either, do it for the love of the fish.

This site was my bible when I used to breed halfmoons and wilds.

Different breeding methods:

Betta Splendens - Half Moon, Double Tail, Crown Tail Bettas - Breeding Bettas

Raising fry:

Betta Splendens - Half Moon, Double Tail, Crown Tail Bettas - Raising Spawns

General betta care:

Betta Splendens - Half Moon, Double Tail, Crown Tail Bettas - Betta Health & Care

As has been mentioned, male bettas must be kept separately. What size tank is personal preference. Many people with betta collections keep their males in a barracks tank, and females in a sorority tank. A 2x1x1 tank makes for a good breeding and grow out tank. Then once you start separating juveniles at around 6 to 8 weeks of age, you need to jar males separately, but can continue growing out juvenile females in the spawn tank. Some people have small barracks systems (as in smaller sized individual sections -still lots of sections) for their juvenile males that need separating instead of individual jars/containers.

So that is a minimum of 3 tanks and who knows how many jars (2 litre square jar that is not tall is a good size) for one pair. My personal opinion is that a 20cm Aqua One cube is a suitable sized tank for a single betta. I think people who keep adult bettas in vases, etc need the riot act read to them. However, if you have some heated tropical tanks that are not high water flow tanks, you can put your bettas in them.

Oh, and contrary to many peoples "knowledge" of bettas, they are a Tropical fish, there fore they need to be kept in a heated tank during Autumn, Winter and early Spring. Lids are essential, bettas can be jumpers, and need a humid layer of air above the water surface to breathe from. A sponge filter is fine, especially one with an adjustable valve to control air flow to control surface movement when spawning and growing out fry.

Think of it like this during a mild winter in an unheated, uncovered tank. You live through winter with a cold, that might turn in to the flue and kill you if you are unlucky. The small room you are living in is filled with a small amount if smoke, that won't kill you, but scratches your throat and lungs every time you take a breath.

My advice, buy ONE nice pair of cheap Veil Tails and see what it takes to breed and grow out the fry. Wait another month before you try breeding your pair this summer.

Edited by pk333

Maybe consider keeping a species of wild bettas if your daughter likes them? They are gorgeous, and many don't need to be separated when breeding. I had a planted tank with betta mahachai and they would spawn and have multiple generations of fry growing in the tank with them at any one time.

Dragons-Bettamahachai.jpg

Now pair of small mouth brooders (Channoides) or a small bubble nester as above. Much easier. :-).

The other option which I choose but many people seem to be against, is to cull hard and often. This way the hobby doesn't dictate YOUR life. I run multiple spawns at a time (if the bloody things breed) and I don't really want 200-500 fish come jarring time.

Very rewarding to raise your own fish and great for kids as your babies go from eggs to beautiful fish in about 3 mths under the right conditions. :-)