Sign in to follow this  
renjarben

normal cichlid behaviour??

ok have a tank approx 5.5 ft have had a colony of kingseizi in there(one male 3 fem)for a while have just added

a flavus,neon spot,afra cobue ,the flavus and kinseizi have picked on each other alot but have seem to have soughted themselves out.

but the trouble is they are always hiding never see them even when i put food in nothing but they wait till its behind rocks then eat it.

the kingseizi have been doing it for a while when they were by themselves.

they r all healthy swim in behind rocks all the time but u never see them.

is this normal behaviour,will be setting up our 3 foot tank on weekend for female fish so i can breed them in our 2x2 tank.

will things change by taking the fems out ??

can anyone recomend wat other male cichlids to stick in the 5.5 ft tank?

thanks in advance Ben and Renee

Hey

If there are three kingseize girls in there, they could be breeding with the male, so the male will get very territorial and fight off any opposing threats, flavus can get agressive to so they probobly nipped each other fins and being mbuna they take refuge under and around the rocks for safety, if your are taking the female kingseize out this should bring the tank to peace :)

Etienne

as far as what make good tank mates, i have neon spot, elec yellows, solusi,pindani,demasoni,mbamba, all in 1 community tank without any drama, even though it is recommended not to have some of these fish in the same tank,, i think as long as you are not trying to breed in a community tank your options are far greater. just my 2 cents

ant

How much traffic goes past your tank. I noticed the same thing with my yellows and also rusty cichlids?

As has been said already, the P.Pulpican [Kingsizei] may well be breeding behind the rocks and therefore it would explain that side of it.

Ofcourse there is always the option of putting less structure in the tank but this could well lead to fatalities due to insufficient shelter for less dominant fish and holding females.

Another method is to re locate the rockwork so that the fish are on a level playing field again, unfortunately this will only prevent the hiding until such time as the pecking order has been re-established.

RM

The other thing I do is pace a dither fish in there I use rainbows for this as they don't mind the harder water and they are too quick for the cichlids to get too. It just helps to relax the cichlids if they see other fish swimming around.

The other thing I do is pace a dither fish in there I use rainbows for this as they don't mind the harder water and they are too quick for the cichlids to get too. It just helps to relax the cichlids if they see other fish swimming around.

Great thought there Braddo :fish:

Sign in to follow this