renjarben

fish stocking question s

ok another question i have so we have established we have a 5 ft tank and also a 3 ft and a 2ft the plan is to have the males in the 5 ft fems in 3 ft and 2 ft used for breeding and fry,is this a good idea??

The other idea we had was to have 2 diff species in the 5 ft and 2 ft say a colony of flavus and a colony of e blues in the five foot and say a colony of kingseizi and colony of girafes in the 3 foot and keep 2 foot for fry would this b a better idea?? and would these species cross breed??

i have been told that labidochromis cichlids wont cross breed with Pseudotropheus cichlids is this true

This is indeed true. The two will cross breed given the right combination.

Labs like EYs [Labidochromis caeruleus] will cross with Psuedotropheus Saulosi, I know this for a fact as it happened to me and also to 2 other breeders I know. We assumed this was due to the fact that the Saulosi female is almost identical in colouration and very similar in body shape to the Yellow Labs.

HTH

RM

p.s. For images see Back To Nature Guide to Malawi Cichlids by AD Konings ISBN 0-9668255-9-4, pages 129 & 177