Robert1964

Sump 2700 x 700 x 700

Hi

I got few question if any one could help with a filtration for my new 2700x700x700 - 1350Liters

I'm planing to run filtration with a 1200x450x450 denitrator tank and 120x450x450 sump.

I'm planing to use 5000L/hr eheim sump pump with 25mm poly inlet and 3x25mm poly outlets. One of the outlets will go to denitrator tank and then to sump tank.

The tank will be in the wall between two rooms with not a lot of head room but with a lot of room under. Do you think that I may have to up grade to 6000L/hr pump with bigger out lets. Will 1200x450x450 be sufficient sump size.

Regards

Robert

i have a 6ft x 18w x 20 tall and have 20mm inlet and outlets 30mm internal diameter of 15mm and have 3 of them on 2500lph pump 1.8m head

i started with 2 outlets but it gurgled alot and had to add the third its works a treat for my tank

the other tank i have is a 4ft x 18x18 2500 lph and only have 2 returns but went 35mm works a treat

for yours i'd look at a bigger return and possibly a couple xtra i'd suggest 35m and 4 or 5 but its all trial and error the last thing you want to do is fill it and find its noisy and have to drain and drill more holes

hth

With that size tank I would be looking at having at least 2 50mm outlets and a 32mm return. Having 3x25mm overflows you will struggle to push 3x turn over per hour and it will gargle like a bitch. I'd be looking to push over 7000lph to get a decent amount of filtration. As for denitrator tanks and the like they aren't very neccessary with freshwater tanks unless you have it rediculously overstocked, a sump of say 6ft with a 2ft refuge at the end with a reduce flow and a heap of plants will suffice. Say a 6x18x18.

Something like this I guess your thinking of?

SUmp-1.jpg?t=1242275866

I'm no expert in fish tanks. I got bit of practical knowledge.

The reason your outlets are "gargling like a bitch" guys, because you creating vacuum in the pipe and the water sucks air so you hear the gargle effect. I've done bit of research and the concussion is that you have to vent your outlets.( Like on the drawing. I've put a 'T' instead of elbow and I've put a cup with few 6mm holes in them.(a cup so rubbish does not fall in to it) What do you Think? :idea::idea:

I work with glass now and got same 1200 glass, so I think the 6fter sump will be to comb sent. I rather have 2400 sump in two parts.

I think having Cichlids the denitrator tank is the way to go that will be in a form of refuge with its own inflow and with vales.

And yes roboat you are right 7000L/H will be better, 32mm return and three separate 25mm outlets (and spreader bars) with valves every were I think it should work. I'm going to start on plumbing this weekend and also going to create Rock face walls on each end of the tank out of polystyrene with lots of tree roots or mangroves in the center. 8) Can’t wait. :oops:

CHECK the picks.

FishTank2day2.jpg

In we Go.

FishTank2day.jpg

In place for now

SAVE0147-1.jpg

SAVE0148.jpg

Comments are most welcome

Regards

Robert

I still wouldn't do it that way, i'd have 2 40mm bulkheads (should flow 7000 lph easily without gargling or need of a t-piece set up) and for the refuge tank I would run a seperate pump to move water into the refuge tank. The reason why the smaller bulkheads gargle is because the bulkhead has to flow air too and if that opening is under water it vortexes and slurps like a bitch. If you have a seperate bulkhead running to the refuge tank all the gunk from that overflow will not be filtered it will just dump into the plants and kind of negate the fact of running a nitrate tank. Apart from that it seems your spot on