wolvo23

sump! what size do i need?

Hi i have 9 standard 4ft tanks and want to set up a sump for them, How do i do this and what size sump and pump should i use? there are 3 tanks on each stand and are 3 high so im wanting to put them all along one wall. Thanks .

work on 3 times per hour water turn over at a guess a 4ft tank should be big enuff and as to how thats totally upto you

either drill thru the bottom and the other option is the drilling of the back of your tanks and having a stainless sieve at the water level you desire

so if ya 4fts hold 220ltrs each approx x 9 tanks x 3times turn over per hour so approx 2000ltrs in the tanks +the water in the pipes into the sump and the water the sump holds so rough guess another 150 ltrs so all up u probly looking in the area of 2200ltrs of water turn that over 3 times per hour a pump at approx 6000lph and then u need to take into account the head height of said pump

if u drill the bottoms of the tanks i'd sugest 2 risers 1 to pick up from the top and a second with a pvc pipe slightly bigger (10mm to allow water to flow up and over the top of the riser) with holes drilled in the bottom of it to pick up the crap from the bottom of the tank and using risers about 30-35mm

overall this option will cost u more with the need of more parts but it works exceptionally well and i have done it in all 3 tanks i have

hope this helps u in some way

first pic is the sump media bay is 760 long x 380 x 380

when i took this pic i hadn't added the second layer of gutter guard cut in half and the bio balls underneath its full of ceramic noodles coral rubble and hidden away is some purigen 2 x 100ml bags of it between the 2 layers is more egg crate on some pvc pipe holding it above the media tied on by cable ties then i have dacron and sponge take the sponge out every 2-4 weeks and beat the crap out and wash it then change the dacron

gotta say less work than a cinister

full sump pic.jpg[/attachment:vt0wmi2u]

risers.jpg[/attachment:vt0wmi2u] second pic is 2 or the 3 risers the 3rd pic is the same as the 1 with the white cover has 8mm holes drilled in it to take the crap from the bottom of my tank there is approx 5mm gap all round the pvc pipe sits over the bulkheads and draws it up and over into the sump

in these 2 photos i hadn't finished it yet and added the pipework into the sump all i have done there is put a couple 90 deg elbows on and drain it back into the sump

i find i have 100% o2 saturation as all the dripping from the sponge into the water and then the 1 baffle on the end and also the spray bar in the tank which is slightly below the water line but pointing upwards to ripple the water

no sump is right or wrong its what works for you some people like to have alot more baffles and less media space i worked it out that the way i have mine done i have more than 4 canisters of media in it i use less power as my 2500 lph pump is 55w and i dont run a heater anymore as the heat from the pump is enuff holds on 27 deg in saying that this will be the first winter so i will monitor it

the tank its sumping is 6ft x 18w x 20 tall and holds approx 35-40 africans about the 8-10 cm range and 11 albino bn about the same size

i should also mention i have given up water testing as it never changes ph is allways around 8 and after 4 months of weekly tests for ammonia nitrates and nitrites all pretty much 0 all the time i gave up tank never smells and is allways clean and clear and only lost 1 fish coz i dropped a rock on it and squashed it