I have seen fish sold in Brissie stores labelled just as "yellow" when they have "electric yellows" in another tank.

The "yellow" have no black markings at all & have slight difference in body/head shape. I believe to be a cross between red zeb& electric yellows.

Could be either. The joys of the hobby here now days, some people/stores/private breeders are either ignorant/wankers etc. You really have to be careful with what you buy now days.

Frenchy :sheep:

they are probably labridrichromis s.p. "yellows". they are fully yellow with no black on them , but have blue through their eyes and fins. i have been told that they might be a hybrid but i have found no evidence of this with the several different lots of fry i have got comming through. if they are a hybrid , i should of had some throw backs from my breeders but all fry are exactly the same as their parents, so im led to believe that they arn't a hybrid. as been said ,they were aparently cross bred here in aussie land, being only into the country for a short period of time ,i definately should have seen some evidence of throwbacks so im led to belive that they aren't hybrids at all.

hth

Got any photos of them Harley? Hybrid yellows are huge in the states, telling the difference is near on impossible. If they have beencrossed with say red zebs, then the only difference is slight body shape. If you cross 2 similar species, what differences are you expecting to find. Have you found any prove they are not a hybrid? That should be the question you ask yourself. I don't think there is a wild species of yellow, that is yellow, that has no black.

If people go to Slacks Creek, its a pet store. Have a look at the tanklabelled yellow. You know they are not electric yellows. But they all look very good, close. Slight diff in colour & shape. No black marking at all.

yeah frenchy , no i dont have any photos of them atm, i'll get a couple of them in the next couple of days and try and put up to have a look at them. im only going on by what ive heard (on the various forums ) and seen (from stock ive brough and being the fry ive bred), if they are a hybrid then there should be at least some form of a through back . for eg. you breed 2 red tiger oscars together , most of the fry come out as red tigers , but there is also an amount of fry that come out as just the reds, as well as maybe a couple of albinos(if you are lucky). yeah they have been cross bred over many years , to get the throwback forms , but as you said " Hybrid yellows are huge in the states" then i should be getting at least a couple of throwbacks from the parents to prove that they are a hybrids.

These fish just keep poping up

Yes they are a X they where bred by a shop on the gold coast

And sold as chitandies and some thing elce when people cottand on to them

Then they where sold to a breeder who sold them to Bays who sold them on to the public

Shonky I know but thats how some people make money

Roo

The yellows I saw in one shop were all similar, lighter in yellow colour, no black markings. I heard the story about Bay. These will end up with normal yellows & cross & be passed on. :x

But at another store they are orange, more noteable variations in body/head shape & finnage. Being sold as tropheops.

roo said

"Then they where sold to a breeder who sold them to Bays who sold them on to the public "

i didn't just get them from bayfish , i also sourced them through A.I. as well as "Petras Fisheries " i got my first lot through Petras and the second lot through A.I. and about 6months later through Bay.so either they were imported on a big number and then bred and distributed by the breeder , i do not know. all im saying ive had no throwbacks or any other differences from the fry to say they are or arn't a hybrid.

frenchy said

"But at another store they are orange, more noteable variations in body/head shape & finnage. Being sold as tropheops."

they arn't the tropheops s.p. " chitindi bright yellow" are they. they are a more of an orangie colour but have a blunter head on them.

scott

The Lab.Sp are a cross

They are the exact same fish we saw in Brisbane Frenchy many moons ago

Mass bred here on the coast and then spread out all over the country

The breed true but from the Original Line they were easy to spot them being a Hybrid

U still have that Photo Frenchy???

Ive seen them sold as E. Yellow to Lab Sp. to Tropheops all from the same source

Brad

they arn't the tropheops s.p. " chitindi bright yellow" are they. they are a more of an orangie colour but have a blunter head on them.

I'd put money on them that they are not. But if the owner reads this, they well might be now. Go have a look for yourself.

Do they also have some that are more slender headed. Some of them have the flashes/markings in their caudal fin like an Aulonocaraoh, & red eyes like a red zeb?

i seen these fish in a BIG fish shop on the gold coast and 1 in logan city - underwood (same shop)

with price tag $49ea @ 4-4.5cm

so are thay crosses or a true breed??

nice looking fish and i seen a guy selling them on a nother site 12mths -2years ago as sum yellow cichlid

hes a well known person as i have been told

thanks davey