Matmatmat

Water aging drum question

It's just a big tub or tank or drum , and ya put the water and dechlorinater in and let it turn over for a while... I'm doing it so all of the nasty chlorine and stuff is gone before the water hits my ranchu fry.. Have to or some die each water change. Also gets the temp right before water goes in..

I use a 200ltr blue barrel. It has an air stone and heater in it. Normally once i'm finished i am able to tip the last bit away and start it again for the next week.

Do you do that as it may build up in nitrates? Or start to cycle?

I have in the past only made as much as I need and am kinda new to making larger quantitys..

chlorine will dissipate from the water quickly if simply heavily airated. chloramines will aswell but it is a longer process. airation for 3 days will be best but even 24 hours will be the difference between fish death and life at water change time without using prime/supachlor etc.

I use a 150 litre Blue Barrel. As I keep soft water fish, I mix rain water and tap water in the barrel. I have a couple socks of sphagnum moss sitting in the bottom to acidify the water and an eheim powerball in there to turn the water over. I also add two buckets of ketapang (IAL) "tea" the day I am going to do water changes. Then add some Prime just to be sure.

I'll fill the barrel when it's empty and let it run until I need to use it. Usually only use about 100 litres for a full round of water changes (lots of small tanks), so I'll top it up to the 100 litre mark again after this.

I used a 200 litre barrel fitted with a tap. Filled it with water added dechlor and an airstone. No heater.

I had it set up over my sump so after i vacuumed sucked water from the tanks i then opened the tap on the barrel and the taps on my tanks. All tanks refilled, water change done.

Easy peasy.

aged water is the way to go i fill mine every 2 days i prob use just under 1000lt every 2 days but i top up from a carbon filters thou so i just age water to stop ph swings etc

all i use is a air stone and in winter i run it thru a a couple of coils of irrigation on my roof so i can heat my aged water much cheaper then running a heater only down fall is you have to be there to regulate the temp