renjarben

Just brought my first Tropheus

gday just brought my first lot of tropheus fry now i was told by a person that i can feed them HBH 8 VEGGIE FLAKE.

this is wat i feed my malawis but not sure on the tropheus.

any help would be greatly appreciated

its great to finally have a start to my tropheus colony.

thanks ben and renee

i did do alot of research but some ppl have problems with certain foods as they have a chance of bloating

depends on each brand from wat i have read.

just thought if anyone has tried this brand they could give me the results.

I know they are on a strict vege diet but like i said some brands even if they r only vegie can cause them to bloat.

cheers benno

p.s. I am still only learning about keeping these fish so I will prob be asking alot more questions in the future better to ask first and listen to other ppls experiences then to have my fish bloat and die.

I would say Sera Flora is the best veg flake for them, but i also use HBH 8 vegie and OSI spirulina flake, on the label spirulina has a higher protein content but a top breeder on TF site uses it majority of the time with no drama. If you can grow some algae on rocks in a bucket in sun etc they will like that as a treat.

Hi Renee

Common foods used by some breeders - New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formula (even has a tropheus on the label), New Life Spectrum Thera A (contains garlic), Sera Flora, HBH Vege Flakes.

Some argue that whatever appropriate food you choose, you should stick with it and be consistent if the fish like it (if you must change,only introduce new foods gradually ) Tropheus, it is argued, come from conditions that are extremely stable and therefore dramatic changes to food, ph levels, temp, water chemistry etc can end in disaster.

http://www.cichlidforum.com/articles/tr ... corner.php

also I would log in to / join up with http://tropheusfanatics.invisionzone.com/ (There should be a section on food for tropheus etc).

Regards

Peter :)

ok thanks for the advice yeah i just had a reply on the tropheus fanatics site saying similiar.

I have increased the lighting some what to increase algae growth.I was told as well that freash spinach would be a gud treat aswell.