Hello Guys

During the last school holidays i was quite bored so i decided to make a new filter design,so I went to bunnings and got all the materials i needed, Alot of Pvc and Seleys Aquarium safe silicone. I thought that i would run my 1200 Lph through a Pvc pipe Full of Aquarium foam and Wool, at the end i attached a spray bar. Added some pics, Please let me know if there is anything wrong with it please :)

Cheers Etienne :)

firstly i would not have siliconed the joins but instead solvent welded them, especially since in a pressure application. Also where your water goes in you can actually buy proper screw in barbed tails to suit that hose. Just drill a hole slightly smaller than the thread size and screw it in, maybe a bit of teflon tape or silicon to be sure of no leaks. Also the screw on caps, are they the rubber ringed type or did you silicon them aswell, if you did silicon them that will make maintenance a royal pain in the but. Also you say its full of mechanical media, how about some bio, maybe through a litre of matrix in there for good measure. And finally i prob wouldnt have offset the outlet.

Thats just my thoughts mate. Other people may have some different ones

mate, have a look at the first flush system at your raintank, you can do the same by making your pvc pipe vertically sionce your bath tub is against the wall, then you can use a screw cap on the top let the water run down, botton you can screwcap ( ring) off and have a T of spray bars. maintainance from unscrew bottom let out media and unscrew top to install media. this is just my thoughts and you can link the pvc pipes up on the wall should you make them shorter pieces but need few more elbows, it will look like a s on top of a s.

cheers

with rubber ringed screw caps mate you dont need to silicone the thread as the o-ring will seal it perfect for your application, therefor cleaning will be as simple as unscrewing the end the screwing it back on, no re-sealing. They are only a little dearer but will save you in the cost of having to re-silicone it every time.

I would suggest you do pull it apart tho and clean away the silicon then solvent weld the joins to prevent it coming apart when you not around. Before you do this i would mark up a line across the joins so when you glue it back together the bends will be exactly where you had them before, that is if your happy with the bends now.