cralic1

CRS keeping question

Hi All,

I have recently set up a breeding setup running off a sump, I am going to have a go at Breeding Africans, currently got some Hongi fry growing and some BN, the question is that will Cherry Shrimp survive and breed in a blank bottom fish tank? What would I need to add in the tank for them survive and will it affect the water perimeter for the rest of the tanks.

The setup is 6 x 2ft tanks running off a 2ft sump. Also I am thinking of getting CRS from a couple of different people to breed. Is this a good idea and any suggestions for buying from?

I am only new to this and learning heaps from this forum so any help and advice is great.

Cheers

Crs are crystal shrimp and rcs is cherry shrimp. They has vastly different needs, it will depend on what ph and parameters you are running for the Africans whether the Cherrys will like it or not..

Bare bottom and dechlorinated tap water is usually fine for cherry shrimp though, with a few bio spong filters or canisters with the intakes covered some how..

Thanks matmatmat, I will be running a sponge filter in each tank as well as the sump. I mainly want to know if they need plants or log or something or are they fine to hang out in the tank only.

Also I did mean Red Cherry Shrimp, want to try something different and easy.

I am not sure what the ph is at the moment as I have just got it set up after a sump malfunction :-( Will check soon.

Thanks again for ur advice

Bare bottom will be fine, they maybe won't show as great a color as they would with a dark substrate but will still be just as healthy:) they would like some moss and a piece or two of wood in there as it grows tiny bits of algae that the shrimp will use as part of their diet.

Heck if I kept them Alive they can't be that fragile;)

Unlike all other shrimp these guys are easy to look after with out much effort.

I have cherrys in my display, in bare bottoms and in tubs. They breed faster than rabbits and aren't very sensitive to what PH you put them in.

I have plants but no wood. Feed only once a day since they are scavengers they will eat anything edible and algae growing in the tank so a light would be a good idea to save on food. I guess they could survive solely on just fish food if no light is available.

Cherrys shed the shell and like a hiding spot until the new shell hardens.

copper will kill them so be wary of heavy metals.

bare bottom is fine but does effect the colours dramaticaly

as for buying from different breeders I don't think any one has as they are mainly used as a good food source which I believe is what you are going to be doing? I did get some given from a mate and have seperated the males and have started a breeding program to see if there is a difference in colouration as I haven't seen deformities when raised and you certainly won't see if any baby shrimp died as there is so many and they're so small.

good starter shrimp to sum up