kasman

super dooper dodgy pond - Is this really worth the effort?

Picked up some kids plastic clam shells today for $12 each with the idea to maybe use them as a pond.

They are about 900mm dia and I can get about 150mm of water in there leaving about 50mm to the top. So the volume is approx 130L.

Its on the western side of the house under a covered area, so will only get the very late afternoon sun.

It looks crap, not as big as Id like and not sure how the plastic will fair. So im left wondering a few things...

Are my goldies better off in the slightly bigger volume tank in the garage with artificial light where they are now?

I often struggle in summer keeping my tanks under 28/30 deg in the garage. This is pretty hot for goldies, would this outdoor pond maintain a lower temp maybe because of the greater surface area and get a chance to cool overnight?

any other concerns or comments are surley welcome....

attachment.php?attachmentid=24086&stc=1&d=1349071844

I had one of.these in my backyard for over a year went thru summer n winter fine. Had native gudgeons n glass percglet n guppies in it. Full of plants too. No filtration no waterchanges or anything except when it rained and it was its own totally healthy little biosphere.

The larger the body of water the better really , but I still think if they only get a small amount of direct sunlight they are better off than inside.. Will be hard to filter such a shallow depth though.. But it's for ranchu yeah? So they will love the depth:)Maybe bio sponges with no top tubes:) heaps of duckweed and shade cloth to stop em heating up.

ha ha mat...why did you buy one??..should of asked..ha ha..i have about 8 of them I used at the last address for my micromachines fish farm :)...I even cut holes in the little ledges and cable tied black plastic mesh to them for covers...I had them under pretty much permanent shade and grew fry out in them...had bout 6 little guys in each tub..and they loved it..grew quick and coloured up quickly outside....yep under shade is crucial and no over stocking...I had 2 small sponge filters in each tub and I just cut the plastic pipe outlet(for the spongeys)down to a level to suit(about half way)..easy stuff mate...and if you really want to help with temps too..make yourself a little wall around it with some bricks as the bricks stay cool and help keep water temps down..;)

Edited by goldenswimmers

the natural light and dark rotation is a big part of why i think fish do so well outside...every fish seems to grow better,colour better etc when they get the natural amout of light and dark...fish would be resting from about 6 or 7 til about 5 or 6 in the morning in nature plus they get insects and to watch the outside world go by :)...

the natural light and dark rotation is a big part of why i think fish do so well outside...every fish seems to grow better,colour better etc when they get the natural amout of light and dark...fish would be resting from about 6 or 7 til about 5 or 6 in the morning in nature plus they get insects and to watch the outside world go by :)...

It's the clouds man! Goldfish freeekin love clouds:) let them gaze at the sky and they will reward you:)

and best pool for indoors for the ranchu(or even tosakin) is the "my first frame pool" by bestway...about $25 at Kmart and they are 4' by 4' and 30cm deep....;)

ok sweet! looks like there are someother "macgyver" style minds out there too! yes!

ok I'll run with this then. and yeh, i have a slighly modified air driven corner filter with some matrix in it that will just run under that level of water.

So man, with the kmart framed pools, why are they more suited to indoors?? I was going to go that way, but was concerned about it gettin a puncture outside.

yeah i dont know about that material in the sun/weather year round....but then again its a pool and designed to be outside.;)..I think I didnt use it as the walls of the pool are also thinner so water would heat up easier but I guess in the shade and with some bricks around it...might be a winner...Id try it :) :) experience is the best teacher...;)

matmatmatto! your a legend mate, popped the top off a spongey and its the perfect height just under the water level. yes!

picked up some awesome plants off my northside buddie bidkev today - another champion , thanks mate :)

So here we are, got the shubunkin in there atm, just trialling how things go for a week or 2 before I put my precious girls in there.

I can tell you, it feels so good having these guys outside. Nature can't be beat.

BTW - I do have a mesh cover for the pond to keep hungary birds at bay.

attachment.php?attachmentid=24118&stc=1&d=1349162299

threw a few plants in the tank indoors too. They love it!

attachment.php?attachmentid=24119&stc=1&d=1349162350

Edited by kasman

very nice mate the fish will love it...watch the shubunkins they'll will get big quick outside and that will be too small soon enough for those guys...a couple of little black ranchus..no probs Id say....:) with the plants mate...its a goldy deluxe condo :)

That tank looks real cool Mat with just the black ranchu and the little bonsai pots...has a mad simple asian feng shui look...i dig it big time :)

yeh man, those shubunkin will be causing me a few headaches down the track. Need a bigger pond me thinks :)

ta man, yeh happy with the tank. Would like to keep them there but they need to do some cloud gazing...

which makes me wonder, whats your indoors/outdoors routine? do you have one? cuz ponds are obviously the way to go but its nice having them in tank too.

Maybe just put them in tank for a week or 2 every now and then.

which makes me wonder, whats your indoors/outdoors routine? do you have one? cuz ponds are obviously the way to go but its nice having them in tank too.

Maybe just put them in tank for a week or 2 every now and then.

exactly what all the asian goldfish farms do..:).keep them in ponds...and bring them in to show...so maybe get a rotation of fish happening....:) can have tonnes of goldfish and only one tank! :) :)