Flanagan001

Green Terror has lost his colour

Help. Recently my terror 'Nobby' had a huge lump on his face. This has almost gone now. It did open up and sometimes still bleeds. I have been using salt and melafix and he does seem to be on the mend. He was very lethargic (sittibg in a corner all the time) but seems to be swimming again.

I haven't seen him eat for weeks.

The problem: he has lost all of his blue/green colour.

1) What can I do to get this back?

2) How long should the aquarium light be on each day?

3) Do I need to be checking the PH of the tank?

4) What is the best food for him?

Other occupants are, 1xGT, 1xSuper Green Texas, 1xClown Loch, 2xGold Guarami, 3xFlying Fox, 1xAlgae Eater.

I've checked PH, nitrates, nitrites etc and all appear to be normal.

Nobby seems to be declining everyday now :(

I've used 2 bottles of melafix now and top up the salt whenever I do a water change. I haven't seen him eat since the middle of August!!

If he is on his way out, should I make it easier for him or let nature take its course? I hate seeing him suffer.

This is a link to a short video I took this morning.

Another clip

When he was well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuAoU1xJFiA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Help

Edited by Flanagan001
added in more utube clips

QUOTE=ozmo;504913]Maybe it's just my observation but the other fish in that vid appears to be laboring with regards to breathing also.

Do you use any water conditioner when doing water changes? Do you use tank or town water?

Hmmm, the other fish seem OK and the nitrates etc are all OK. Up until recently I was only adding aquarium salt at a water change. Now I am using stress coat as well. I am on town water.

He needs to be on his own. Cichlids can tell when a tank mate is vulnerable...and algae eaters will eat th slime off anything that lets them.

I've put him in a 2ft tank on his own to see if he perks up. I really want to help this guy. He's my first ever American cichlid and he means s lot to me!

I also use town water. However, I premix my water with Superchlor and use the conditioned water when doing water changes and top ups.

I recommend using Superchlor (or similar) as I have never had chlorine or chloromine related issues with my aquariums.

My father killed many fish in his time because he simply used straight town water and would always say... "I don't understand, all the other fish seem fine" (not having a go at you Flanagan001).

Just something to think about and tick of as a possible cause.

I also use town water. However, I premix my water with Superchlor and use the conditioned water when doing water changes and top ups.

I recommend using Superchlor (or similar) as I have never had chlorine or chloromine related issues with my aquariums.

My father killed many fish in his time because he simply used straight town water and would always say... "I don't understand, all the other fish seem fine" (not having a go at you Flanagan001).

Just something to think about and tick of as a possible cause.

Is stress coat similar to superchlor, it removes chlorine from the water and helps maintain the slimey coat. However, I have only been using g this for about two weeks. I am also using pixafix and melafix, topically as well as in the water.

How often should I be doing water changes, maybe I'm not doing enough. (25% once a wk)