mightycommodore

Have u tried miracle mud???????

Hey mate went to pet city yesterday I was talking to some one about miracle mud and calculated how much mud I would need and the bottle recomends for my system 90lbs Wich works out to be $1200 so............. How deep would I need the sand bed could I use crushed coral 7-12mm or is that to chunky? Cheers bill ps deadfish ur pm box is full

Hey mate went to pet city yesterday I was talking to some one about miracle mud and calculated how much mud I would need and the bottle recomends for my system 90lbs Wich works out to be $1200 so............. How deep would I need the sand bed could I use crushed coral 7-12mm or is that to chunky? Cheers bill ps deadfish ur pm box is full

90lbs is about 9 of the 4.6kg bags

thats quite a lot

how big is your system?

7 to 12 mm sand is too chunky for a deep sand bed

I mean you could use that size

but

you are gonna need a tall tank for the depth you would need.

The system is about 1200L I have a 5x2x4 with a 4x1.5x1.5 sump. How deep would I need the sand if it was just sand? And also do u think 50kg of live rock would be to much to get my system started

Nice system!

90 lbs sounds about right.

You want a layer of the mud about an inch thick.

Keep in mind when using miracle mud you usually only have a max of an inch of coral sand in the main tank.

Less coral sand in the main tank is better, as it means less crap can build up in it.

Remember crap that builds up in the coral sand in the main tank, cannot be consumed by the microbes in the mud that is in the sump.

The more sand you have, the more you should gravel syphon it.

Now the deep sand approach is the opposite almost.

In the sump I have usually gone 4 to 6 inches deep with my sand bed.

But everyone has their own opinions on this!

The top 2 to 3 inches get disturbed by critters in most tanks, so you need to go deeper than that to cultivate the microbes that thrives in very low oxygen environments.

How deep is up to you.

As is the depth of the coral sand in your main tank,

although most tanks with deep sand bed filtration

seem to also have quite deep coral sand substrate in the main tank too!

Either way, you are looking at a lot of sand.

If you understand deep sand beds too well and would like to change that, I suggest reading this.

Feature Article: An Experimental Comparison of Sandbed and Plenum-Based Systems. Part 1: Controlled lab dosing experiments — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

How Sandbeds REALLY Work by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

As to your 50kg of live rock.

sure its enough

get it in and get this beast started!

_vbseFBAOEee8GmzAv5f-w2.jpg

Edited by DeadFishFloating