kasman

Black Ranchu - fact or fiction??

Been trying to read up on these guys and finding some interesting info on them. Not if its true or not so true lol.

I could have just PM''s a few of the experts but thought id make it a thread so it could benefit others that may be interested :).

So here goes, fact or fiction?

1. A high protein diet will make them darker. Even feeding them egg. ( I know sunlight/outdoors will do this but not sure about the diet having this affect)

2. They will not grow very big, maybe 4/5 inches as opposed to other ranchu that can hit 8inches +

3. They cannot see very well (I've noticed this but could be the funtan blocking the view ;))

So yeh, mainly reading up on FINMOOD forum but interested to hear what some of you guys think..?

Is anyone a member on that forum?? it seems ok.

ah ok, so the size is more down to them being thai bred and not genetic. Cool.

I also read that if outdoors a white bottom seems to get good results with black colour as it reflects the sunlight up??

And yeh that was another one - no colour food. Ok.

yeh only found finmood today in one of your posts - pretty good place. Tonnes of info.

Yep Finmood is an awesome place to learn and share the goldy love....:).yep they stay small....the thais have created their own black ranchu and its the BLACKEST...being completely black on the belly etc...Chinese black ranchu get to the same size as other more common ranchu but they never colour up on the belly(which is usually white)and these black ranchu are more likely to possibly turn orange at anytime...this is how you get a lot of black and orange fish...the black colour phaze is usually temporary during colour changes so its genetic to be able to "lock it in place"(eddie!)...so the thais have been able to do this...and so no surprise the fish stay smaller..its almost like an albino form genetically....I have never had problems with finding it hard to see...but I always pick fish with the least amout of head growth around the eyes....its pretty obvious to me...they get a lot of headgrowth and I have seen a lot of these guys with their eyes covered at a young age(which is probably older than people think as they stay small) and in my personal opinion...who wants a blind fish???...never tried different diets and there is a lot of specualtion as to how you keep them black....a little secret from some thai guys is apparently they are raised is sunlit ponds with mirrors on the bottom....yes true story :) ...and just from my personal experience...I can turn a bronze fish black in a week in a pond that gets good sunlight so I beleieve it....I keep black oranda and black ranchu inside they go bronze...i keep them in the sunlight...they go jet black...so its a genetic melanin thing if you asked me...those guys you got mat (kasman ;)) have already spawned before and as you know they arent big :)

Thanks guys.

yeh I just read about using mirrors! not sure if I'll go that far, but I'm eyeing off those bestway framed pools you told me about - they have a white bottom so I think that'll be the go :)

So their eyes can be completly covered with head growth? wow, not good i am guessing.

Ok, so kind of going off topic, but typically what are these thai black ranchu typically bred for other than colour - more side view or top view? or what the fish is suited for?

funny fish mate as far as side or top veiw goes....but yeah side view but they throw some decent top views but the japanese aint buying it :) they only accept red and white as colour for top view...but If you look closey you can see some great looking top view black ranchu so im thinking some japanese influence in the genetics(as they import a lot of good goldfish from japan which we arent allowed to do :()...go the thais...love their goldfish...Im due a trip... :) :)