Scuba Steve

The damage :(

so last night my 8 footer decided to let go.. it looks as if it has started from the bottom corner so i would say there might have been a chip behind the plastic edging and it went from there. lesson learnt, check the tank before filling...

anyway amoungst all the yelling and panic i managed to cap some photos of the drama.

post-7627-14711627570277_thumb.jpg

post-7627-1471162757077_thumb.jpg

post-7627-14711627571073_thumb.jpg

post-7627-14711627571377_thumb.jpg

post-7627-14711627571681_thumb.jpg

and i cant thank my mum and dad and my fiancee's mum for coming round in such short notice, they got around with bucket loads of towles and blankets, couldn't have done it without them.. thanks for all the offers last night to look after my fish too guys, means alot especially whe youre in that much of a panic. the glass panel is getting replaced today so will keep you guys updated....

a few pic of the damage..

post-7627-14711627571986_thumb.jpg

post-7627-14711627572296_thumb.jpg

we were very lucky really, could of been alot worse, only about 30cm of the carpet at the doors god wet, we god it barricaded pretty quickly. only thing that looks a little damaged is the tv cabinet. its made of chipboard so it bubbled only tiny bit at the base. one thing i was very lucky not to get electricuted as there was a **** load of water poaring out all over the cords. somehow didnt even trip the power.

can only look on the bright side when things like this happen.

hey guys, little update.

the glass panel has now been replaced just have to get my bulkhead holes drilled as he had the wrong holesaw today. im going to wait until moday to fill so hopefully the kigomas like there new home in the bathtub for the next few days.

atleast its fixed now just really nervous to fill it after what happened.

Not good to hear mate...had this happen to me in the past too with a 4ft so can imagine your stress, especially with such a large volume in the 8ft. Good to hear its fixed though :)

Oh and I noticed in the 3rd picture, your mum/wife is having a good chuckle at your ordeal haha :P

I take it you were home when it happened. The sound of 10mm glass cracking on a tank still gives me chills. I had a 6x2x2 crack across the base, heard it new it happened took ages to find it, only lost a few towels of water because of the full board, and foam under it.

Glad you could minimise the damage, and save the tankmates.

im sure tanks do that to keep us on our toes ha,ours only do that when we are busy and dont have time to clean up water but what do we do drop everything for our beautiful fish..hope everything is ok.. how are the fish doing

fish are doing good. the yellows and blues are crammed in my 5 foot community and the fronnies are still in the bathtub. got pumps, heaters and bubblers in there and i am just keeping the door closed trying not to stress them out, but they seem to be doing fine luckily. i guess it was just lucky in the mad rush of trying to catch the water poaring out the tank i managed to fill the bath with the tank water as it was filling toat boxes.

i just hope to god somthing like that never happens again. the guy that repaired it said it looked like there was a tiny crack under the plastic strip to begin with so thats why it let go.

and trofius, your right there is no worse sound, i was sitting about 4 meters away from the tank when it happened. when they let go it isnt a cracking noise at all, its a real chilling bang :(