africanman79

How to kill snails

Be very careful with and chemical you use to kill snails. Most Snail killing chemicals in the aquarium are very high in copper and require you to have a certain PH level to use them correctly.

As said above Clown Loaches do a good job of eating up unwanted snails

Condies crystals, nothing better IMO. Plants bathe in a dilute solution then rinse and repeat. The ibc I would let soak for 24 hrs in a stronger solution. If gravel in ibc push it to high point of base add straight condies to the space and slowly fill with water. This ensures all gravel is soaked in strong solution killing any nasties hiding in it.

sorry to hijack but may add to the answer, what do you recommend for my situation

I have fish in all my tanks - running on one big system

If I remove fish in one tank, separate it from the system and use condies crystals in that tank... would it be best to just lower the water level, put in the crystals, leave it till the snails are dead and then rinse it all out a few times and run it back on the system

sorry to hijack but may add to the answer, what do you recommend for my situation

I have fish in all my tanks - running on one big system

If I remove fish in one tank, separate it from the system and use condies crystals in that tank... would it be best to just lower the water level, put in the crystals, leave it till the snails are dead and then rinse it all out a few times and run it back on the system

You would more than likely find snails are all through your plumbing, media etc. Doing tank by tank on a system works temp but inevitably they will return in treated tanks. Also I wouldn't lower the level, snail eggs are sneaky buggers and will survive out of water for surprising periods of time

Trumpets are easier as they are live bearers not egg layers. 2 treatments can actually overcome them, well at least it did for me. 12 months and no trumpets touch wood

This key is ensuring substrate is saturated in solution, previously mentioned method I found worked for me

Well technically speaking they are good snails, they eat uneaten food and airate the gravel but they are unsightly in high numbers. Personally if you want them gone the most it's going to cost you is a few bucks of condies plus a few transfers and water changes, why not try?

I thought they drop calcium levels to make their shells when they multiply? Maybe I'll have to pull out the calcium test kit and do an experiment?

they are very unsightly, even in the day time there's quite a few out and about

I can get potassium permangante for free from a place I work casually so might be worth a try :)

I actually like that they eat uneaten goon particularly in fry tanks, I like to make sure the little guys are well fed.

I have a few tanks that are relativly snail free, most have no substrate so the fish find them easy.tret tank is spotless lol

Surprisingly my ilangi tank, and my leleupi tank is full of empty dead snail shells!

Occasionally I will just run a course net through the substrate, removes most snails >5mm long

yeah I prefer these other snails I have, they're a soft shell, a bit of a rounded shape, and the shell is sort of like a elongated bowl

they lay eggs and the fish like to eat the little snails as well and don't multiply like crazy either

neo/lamprologines do like to eat them, I found my leleupi would kill them as well

and I also do run a net through the sand and catch the ones on the glass

but they are crazy!

amazing how many african cichlids prey on snails.

but ya malaysian cone snails became so popular BECAUSE fish wouldnt eat them

srsly

that WAS the selling point!

ramshorns are easy to crush against glass = free fresh meat for fish/prawns

BUT snails can carry parasites that infect fish (eg digenetic trematodes)

AND crushing them can cut your finger -> which can get horribly infected.

I trap them using food like a carrot

put them in a fish bag

stomp it flat

and then return to the tank as food

but only on tanks that have had a sterazin/prazi/levamisole treatment

goddam worms are much worse than snails!

I believe there is only 1 real way to get rid of them ...

France-exploded-this-nuclear-weapon-at-Mururoa-Atoll-in-French-Polynesia-on-July3-1970-Scientific-American-Sygma-Corbus-advances-in-monitoring-nuclear-1.jpg

"Prevention is better than cure" ... I NEVER add anything from anyone elses tanks and IF there is something i need to add to my tank I soak in potassium permanganate (Condy Crystals) then add to the tank.

I wouldnt add Condys to an established tank, I think it will stain everything purple/brown.

I like to use the Sera snail traps and they do the job for me. They do not eliminate them but they do reduce the numbers to an acceptable limit. This is one I had in the tank overnight.

DSCN2450.JPG

yea the sera traps are very effective

on the plus side you can then feed the snails to some chooks while they are fresh.

Mafafa: IF EVERYONE JUMPED OFF A CLIFF WOULD YOU DO IT TOO?

Ironikx: If everyone jumped off a cliff, I'd go to the bottom and steal whatever was in their pockets.

I like your bomb solution Donny but seriously - What a waste. A pot of boiling water, pinch af salt, garlic sauce. wha la. Morning tea.

lol that wasnt me,

I am more likely to say

take off and nuke the site from orbit

only way to be sure!

Question is

would breeding snails

and then storing their shells in middens

count as carbon sequestoring?

As then you could sell carbon credits to companys!

I mean how hard could it be to grow cone snails in ponds?

you'd just get food scraps or lawn clippings or something.

1348977646173.jpg