HI,

I have a Pseudotropheous Saulosi which has a fairly large chunk gone from its head on top, I am not sure how it got there. We have it in with some other fish, Blue Dolphins adn Elec Yellows, all smaller then it. But my question is what can I do to treat the wound before it gets worse or the fish dies? And also will the other fish feed off the wound?

Jessica

You probably need to quarantine the fish in a separate tank.

Melafix is usually good depending on the severity of the wound. Follow the label's instructions. The irony is we spend $10-20 on a bottle of Melafix to help a $3 fish - I know I do anyway :? The bottle is always handy to have in case of similar issues in the future .

I have a spare 2ft tank / filter / heater if you need a quarantine setup to borrow for a few weeks. Just an idea if you haven't got one and you're on the northside.

Peter

Fish have a habit of sensing a weakened fish and it may get picked on / lose its spot in the pecking order. More reason to quarantine the fish :fish:

Melafix and quarantine aswell, melafix should definately clean it up.

Also salt - pool salt or rock salt (same same :lol: ) use 1 gram per litre for cichlids.

This should help to stop any bacteria from spreading and is cheaper if you don't want to buy melafix.