Hello to everyone, Great site and some really good aquariums on here.

I have been running a 3ft tank with a cannister filter for about 1 1/2 yrs and recently got an algae bloom and nearly sold it and gave up.

After doing countless hours reading, have now got the bug (as you can tell here it is 1 am)8O

I now have a 2ft, 3ft, 4ft tanks and have just purchased a 6ft tank and am currently making a 2ft sump for my 3ft tank which live outside in my patio (that's the one which got the algae bloom).

I will be converting my 4ft into a sump for my new 6ft, I will be asking lots of questions as I will have to drill the tank and set up the sump for freshwater.

Once again great site and looking forward to learning from some of the guys and gals on here

Cheers

Adrian

Hi again I have a pic of a sump idea i have please tell me if this is over kill remember this is my first attempt at a sump.

All comments greatly appreciated as I have very little knowledge about fish keeping but am willing to learn and enjoy.

Next will be what fish to get lol

Cheers

Adrian

post-7934-14711627636306_thumb.jpg

Edited by adriancorrea

Hey Adrian:) welcome!

Your sump seems good but for the bio balls to be more efficient they would need to be made higher, as they want to be above the water level and the ceramic media below water level.. If that makes sence to you. To make it cheaper you could even just use jap mat instead of the bio balls and it would be just fine. I would personally save the bio ball money to be used to buy matrix as the ceramic media.

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Goldenswimmers I have purchased a uv sterilizer and it arrived today and is now connected to the cannister filter return line, I have no idea as how to use this when I finish and start using the sump????????

Matmatmat unfortunately I don't have enough room under the tank to raise the bioballs, Might have to make mods to the stand.

I have two cannister filters that I was going to use the bio balls and the ceramic out of but will be buying more if needed.

Is it worth while using the phosphate, ammonia and nitrate mats above or below the bio balls

Cheers

Adrian