Could I just go down to Bunnings and buy a 2ft T8 light fixture and attach that to my hood?

Is there a difference between normal light fittings and ones sold specially for aquariums? Not talking about the tubes (I'd use aquarium tubes) but the electronics that run it.

Thanks for the input guys.

I have lids but there is a bit of a gap for the hang on filter. I think it should be ok coz I don't have any fish that are likely to jump or splash.

I'll be checking out the local Bunnings tomorrow, as well as chatting to my sparky mate to see if he has some spares ;-)

In regards to the reflector, if you don't mind a bit of mucking around. Use a roll of aluminium foil and glue it to your hood. Use a ruler to smooth it off. I did it for my planted tank and works a treat.

Cheers,

Rusty

all my lights are from bunnings :)

just screwed to the hood , never had and moisture problems with them.

just if you get fittings without a lead attached make sure you get your sparky mate to attach a lead for you so you dont fry yourself. 8O8O8O

Thanks for the tips!

I've currently got a 2ft aquarium light. The best things I can say about it is it works, it's low profile and it came with the second hand aquarium. Other than that it's mostly plastic and kinda ratty looking.

My sparky friend had a 2ft fitting lying around at work and kindly donated it to me. It's fairly heavy and about 1.5 cm thicker than the aquarium light, but seems to run cooler because it made of steel.

I'm thinking of placing the guts of the aquarium light into the bare baton fitting, then rig up a holder for the end clips. After that I'll probably stick some foil (or some other reflective material) to my hood.