jfancygolds

hi noob question re ..big tanks i notice for sale on qldaf

heya all ..im really enjoying this website ..excellent knowledge base and lots of nice people to deal with.

just wondering ..these big ..8ft..10ft ect tanks i see for sale , do they take much power to run.. ?.. i run 2x 3ft tanks and know a little of wats involved..

also ive just bought a group of 5 green moss barbs..4th day in .they r bothering my beautiful large fantail comet..so ive transferred them into a different tank with platties/guppies plecos / and clown loaches..r these guys going to kill all my stock , or should i kill the guy that sold them to me..lol i asked out their habits.. he said they were fine in with goldfish as long as they didnt get bored..hm ..food for thought..?

ty for any replies..good or bad

First up, you need to decide what size filters you'll be running on your tank and what lighting and how long the lights will be on, to calculate running costs.

Secondly, most barbs are fin nippers, the most notorious being the tiger barbs, of which your moss barbs are one.............nothing but trouble if you have something like a fantail in with 'em, so I suggest,............... present the seller with a nice piece of 4x2, preferably across the knee caps at least 6 times, if he's still standing after the first thwack.

I've heard a lot of negative "press" about keeping tiger barbs and their variants. The secret with aggressive barbs is to keep them in a larger group. I prefer at least 10. They have quite a complex social hierarchy and if kept in sufficient group size (more natural anyway) they will tend to spend more time biffing each other in their own private squabbles, rather than harassing other fish. However, as Kev says, any long tailed critter is more at risk of copping it from the barbs.

Cheers,

Nige

PS - I had a shoal of 30 in my 8 ft tank with other fish. They are a magnificently entertaining little fish in such a large group and there was always heaps of action. They had the occasional punch up as they jostled for position in the group, but they left all the other fish alone.

Edited by noyakfat
more info

When it come to large tanks they can cost a little more in power to run but they also save you a lot of time in maintenance they also reduce the amount of heart ace you get from loosing fish.

People often refer to the size of the tank to the amount of work it will require to keep clean often they think big tanks require a lot of work however it is the opposite. I find if things are done correctly the bigger the tank the easier it is to maintain.

In regards to running cost in power the biggest difference between a large tank and a small tank is the heating cost, Obviously a larger tank holds more water and will cost more to heat. Now in saying that i wouldn't let that throw you either, in this sunny warm weather we call QLD i find my heaters only turn on for a very short time during winter.

If you sump the large tank you will get excellent filtration and very low running cost. Also there are ways to light the tank with LED that cost next to nothing to run.

Now for the barbs noyakfat nailed it. Barbs prefer to hang in small groups usually if you only have a couple they can be fin nippers however in a small school they seem to behave

I found my 8x3x2 took very little maintenance and wasn't bad with running costs. Find yourself a good economic pump and run a sump, don't go overboard with lighting and whack a quality couple of heaters in there. The big body of water actually retains heat better than a smaller tank. I kept mine with minimal furnishings so was a cinch to clean aswell.