boydie

collecting baby jacks

a hook n bait will work fine as many fisherman will tell u it only stress' the fish for a bit and 95% of released fish survive, but these fish hit hard and fight hard so be prepared to loose a few b4 u actually land the fish u want

good luck

I always hear soft plactics are the go

try the light colured ones like yellows and that

And don't hang around in 1 spot for too long

Try little in lets in the trees and small creeks

They like to hide so look for tree roots and that

Roo

Yeah keeping them under size will get you into trouble

DPI are always sniffing around looking for under size natives and mainly jacks

If you cant prove U bought it from the shop which can be hard to do sometime U could get a nasty fine

Brad

mate use lures but with the hooks u sqush that little bit from the barb dont hurt the fish at all and easy to get if of ...and a quiker get away lol..as soon as ya catch one get outta there go back another day

:lol::lol:

the smallest size in flick baits are probably the best lure for catching small fish (caught bream and jacks 15cm) and they wont swallow the hook. if you want smaller fish a cast net works best area would be a rubble bottem with water movement but no large rocks as you'll wreck your net. up around townsville thiers millions of tiny ones problem is you dont catch a lot as they hang around the rocks. great fish the smaller the better as the small ones are easy to get onto pellets around 7 cm it can be hard to wean them. good thing with a cast net is ive also picked up scats, green, and silver, target fish, milkfish, tarpon, silver monos, and yellow bar-tailed grunter all can live in fresh water at least while thier young.

cheers

mick

It's alright Nick. Brad did post this as a warning. Also as you can see & there are likely to be more. People out there might not know what legal sizes etc are. Therefore informative.

Yeah keeping them under size will get you into trouble

DPI are always sniffing around looking for under size natives and mainly jacks

If you cant prove U bought it from the shop which can be hard to do sometime U could get a nasty fine

Brad

Frenchy :sheep:

Yeh fair enough, but it's a bit of a no-brainer - if you are going to take flora or fauna from wild you should first find out what the rules and regs are regarding size/bag limits etc. The authors post was specifically targeted at baby jacks which would indicate they either haven't done any research into what they are doing or simply don't give a shit. Neither of which sits well with me. 2c.

There are legal ways of getting baby jacks

Catching them from the Wild in QLD isnt the way

I agree we as a forum should be supporting the local laws especially regarding native fish

Its these laws that get tougher and tougher from the few who decide to keep whatever they catch and in turn why the fish stocks are depleting

I have people in everyday talking about catching little jacks but I advise everyone what the law is and why its there

Brad