Asdfyuiop

Starting up a 5 gallon planted shrimp tank

Hi all,

I'm looking at setting up a 5 gallon planted tank.

I'm going to set it up with low light plants as I want to keep the lighting costs minimal. What would be a good cheap lighting option for a tank 1 ft long and where would I be best to source it from?

As far as filtration I have a small internal filter but have read that a sponge filter could be better as it keep the babies (assuming that my shrimp breed) safe. I would rather not use one as I've always heard they're no good and I would have thought that the plants would provide enough shelter from the filter.

I want to spend some time cycling my tank before introducing any shrimp but when the time comes are there any people here living in the redland area who would be interested in selling some shrimp?

Those are the main questions that I'm wondering at the moment. Any other tips would be great (eg hardy plants that would be suitable for this type of setup)

Thanks in advance for all of your advice,

Asdfyuiop

Hey mate , welcome to qldaf:)

I made that mistake with my first shrimp tank:( =chopped prawn though my tank:( now I run sponge filters, or canisters with a sponge covering the inlet ( but they still find ways in!)

Some good plants would be java moss, Anubis and maybe some duckweed on the surface.. With these plants it really doesn't matter what light you use they will be happy.

As for the shrimp just watch the trader there is always heaps for sale:)

Cheers Mat